LinusTechTips Minecraft Network
Minecraft IP: mc.ltt.gg

Vanilla PvP Toggle Poll

Should Vanilla have PvP Toggle / Passive Mode added?

• Yes

Votes: 21 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters

jakkuh

pew pew
Admin
Mod
jakkuh
jakkuh
Void
Dec 4, 2019
Hello all,

It's come to our attention that many players have been having repeated issues with unwanted PvP, and while our intention is to keep the Vanilla realm as Vanilla as possible, we also want our players to have some control over their experience.

With that in mind, I've attached a poll to this thread where you can vote, either for or against us adding PvP toggle / passive mode (like from our main Survival realm) to Vanilla.

Feel free to share additional thoughts beyond a simple yes/no below if you are so inclined.

Thanks!

xanderstuff

Regular
May 31, 2020
Earth
well, I don't want to want it, but I REALLY don't want to be worrying about other players having the ability to ruin my day easily, having to check the tab list if known hostile people are online, or having to msg other players to warn then about recent incidents to keep them updated with who to watch out for.

I think the pvp toggle feature is minimally invasive, and for me, the only "negative" way it would affect my gameplay on vanilla would not being able to punch (no item in hand) people for fun (say, if they did something dumb); sort of an emote, if you will. Although punching people is usually blocked in claims anyways.

Actually, this does bring 1 idea to mind: to keep the being-able-to-punch-people-playfully "emote", could punching damage still be applied to people but do 0 damage (must be an empty hand)?
- this idea is for both claim pvp and for the proposed toggle pvp, and would do 0 damage but still register as damage (do knockback and make the other player red (damage cooldown)) if in a condition that doesn't allow pvp.
- this would knockback the opposing player, but I don't think that's an issue since you can still push people that are pvp protected anyways (ex: claim pvp doesn't protect against pushing someone over a cliff)
- this would probably also activate the thorns enchantment, but that will damage the provoking player, so I don't think that's an issue.
- And, if the player being punched has thorns, then it might bring their armour durability down. This may be an issue that may want to be addressed.

And 1 request for if pvp toggle is coming to vanilla: Can the red sparkle particles that show if someone has pvp on be replaced? The red particles feel quite non-vanilla. I don't mind them, I just think they are distracting. Unfortunately, I don't have any good suggestions atm. One idea is just to have the pvp toggle have no indicator, and you'd only find out if someone has pvp on/off if you attempt to attack them. This might be ok, but I haven't tried to consider all possible combinations of initiator/receiver intentions.

But overall, bringing pvp toggle to vanilla sounds like a decent way to reduce pvp issues (which seems to be common with problematic/toxic players)

Reactions: APhotoshopFriend

Zalgos

Zalgos
Zalgos
Gold
Dec 3, 2020
The lack of a pvp toggle is all that keeps me from playing more on vanilla

nthnlws

Regular
Aug 2, 2020
I agree that I wish it could stay, but like Xander said, I don't really want to lose a netherite set to an enemy or bounty. Also agree with him that punching would still be nice. I voted yes.

Reactions: APhotoshopFriend

ClartBano

Regular
Aug 4, 2020
If people wanted a place with pvp toggle, they could switch to normal survival. I really dont see a problem with pvp. especially since most of the end is claimed, and thats where most of the time is spent. Not only that but the people who lose their stuff are the bounty hunters. So the bounty hunting buisness would be completely ruined. Meaning basically no more fun in terms of pvp because everyone would have their pvp off.

Aug 18, 2020
If people wanted a place with pvp toggle, they could switch to normal survival. I really dont see a problem with pvp. especially since most of the end is claimed, and thats where most of the time is spent. Not only that but the people who lose their stuff are the bounty hunters. So the bounty hunting buisness would be completely ruined. Meaning basically no more fun in terms of pvp because everyone would have their pvp off.
Your recommendation for someone who wants to switch to easy survival is naive in simple terms. There are so many things about vanilla that make it better than easy survival, tnt duping, no mcmmo, bedrock breaking, and formerly, the community. However recently the community has become more and more toxic, especially around killing people. A great way to stop this from happening would be a pvp toggle. While I don’t like the addition of a pvp toggle I think it is a necessary tool in keeping Vanilla a more friendly, and welcoming place, even if it comes at the cost of the bounty business. Which while fun for some (me included) it is annoying, and toxic at times. Not to mention the harassment some face when they have a bounty on them, for example constantly dealing with people asking for their location, or asking literally everyone on the server for their base location. If you want to have fun playing pvp there is a pvp arena (no, IDK where). In other words have friendly pvp with someone. The thing about the bounty business is that it would be FAR more profitable for someone to just kill someone in netherite and take their stuff. Rather than spending literal hours PMing people or wearing someone down just to kill someone for 5 diamonds.

Last edited:
Reactions: nthnlws

thevava117

Regular
Nov 12, 2020
I believe this server is trying it’s best to accommodate every type of MC gameplay and to me that’s phenomenal. I believe that the purpose of vanilla survival is to foster a sense of
community not competition. I really enjoy creating cool stuff with friends I met in vanilla. What has been a nuisance as of late is the people that come from regular survival that want to bring with them the same sense of gameplay (beat or be beaten) which I don’t believe people in vanilla signed up for. Many of the reasons I’ve heard of people coming over from survival to vanilla is that the economy crashed. So maybe if they are coming over they should try to understand that most people in vanilla have different interests other than jus pvp or griefing. I kid you not there was a guy asking in chat the other day if anyone wanted to pvp with him for a good couple of hours. Hardly anyone took him up on it. He claimed that he had 300 kills in almost every realm except for Vanilla so that was his goal. Just an example.
I think toggle pvp is a good idea and that’s why I voted for it. It just makes sense.

rcmaehl

rcmaehl
rcmaehl
Void
Jan 12, 2020
Possible solution:

Tag-In PVP - First hit does no damage (maybe some knockback but reduced), the "attacked" player gets notified in chat that if they strike back full pvp will be enabled.

Additional random ideas that don't have to be combined with each other or the above idea

• Punching is always enabled, but potions/effects that increase damage are ignored out of combat.
  • Knockback is always enabled, but damage can be toggled off
  • PVP toggle only disables player damage. There's no TPs so trapping is significantly harder since you can't just TP a ton of players into a hole.

Last edited: