jakkuh

pew pew
Admin
Mod
jakkuh
jakkuh
Void
Dec 4, 2019
Update: There was a bit of an issue with the deployment and unfortunately it has been delayed. I will update the post once the system is up.

We have an exciting new feature we're adding to the survival realm that should hopefully make mob farms a little easier to setup - the Death Rose, inspired by the Wither Rose in Minecraft 1.14

This item, when placed onto grass or even farmland (if you want a nice hopper collection system underneath ;D), damages nearly every animal and monster in the game and works as an excellent mob grinder killing system. Please note that the Death Roses will not damage wolves/dogs, ocelots/cats, parrots, or other players. This is designed to replace the entity cramming setups people have been using up to this point, as they can be very laggy. At one point, Minecart collision detections were nearly 20% of our main survival servers processing power!

To craft a Death Rose, place a bone and a poppy into the crafting grid.

Then, just place them down at the bottom of your mob farm and you're good to go!

Death Roses can be picked up after being planted by breaking them, without having to re-death them, if you will. :)

The system has been setup tonight, and as such we will be disabling entity cramming in about a week. Hopefully this gives you all enough time to transition over.

Thanks, and enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: A4N0NYM0U52

Elentric

2Fresh2Clean
Mod
Elentric
Elentric
Pilot
Dec 4, 2019
The Netherlands
To answer you first question, yes this will also apply to the towny realm.

Under normal (vanilla) circumstances, entities will take "cramming" damage when there is 24 entities in a single spot. This has been reduced to 12 to lighted the load on the server, so it was never completely disabled.

Many players would use a 24 mine carts in a kill chamber to simulate the 24 mob limit before cramming occurs. So in effect every mob that falls in it immediately starts taking allot of damage and killing it very fast. These mine carts serve no purpose other than killing mobs, their collision detection is a significant percentage of the "tick" and removing it will lighted the load on the server by a large amount. Since this will effectively kill fast mob grinders something else had to replace it.

In comes the "death rose" a single flower that simulates what 24 mine carts will do with only a fraction of the load on the server (And a fraction of the resource cost might I add).

Elentric

2Fresh2Clean
Mod
Elentric
Elentric
Pilot
Dec 4, 2019
The Netherlands
What we mean by disabling it is that there will not be a limit of how many entities can be on a single spot. The detection for it will be disabled so, you could in theory have 100000 cows in a single spot without any of them taking damage.

The post also explains that it will not affect certain mobs: " Please note that the Death Roses will not damage wolves/dogs, ocelots/cats, parrots, or other players. ". this means that your cow farm can and will work with the death rose. You will just have to sort out a way to let them grow up first obviously. So a few tweaks on your setup might be required.

Szik

Regular
Mar 27, 2020
From the post it seemed that the server load issue was "Minecart collision detections" and not "entity cramming". So I don't see why disabling entity cramming would be a good way to solve the issue.
I know they both are used together in some mob farms, so it would break some hostile mob farms. So eventually the owners (if they are still around which might not be the case) would need to fix it and use something else instead of minecarts. Until then entities would just build up causing more lag...
Entity cramming is already bypassed (with ladders) in some blaze xp farms which can reduce frame rates to 6 fps on GTX 1080 from 100 fps... so I don't think this is a good idea, I would go the opposite way. but that's just me. i don't have access to server performance metrics, so can't say for certain.

I assume you cannot disable Minecart collision detection because that would break a lot of things. (It's buggy as it is, I saw villagers in minecarts run over each other without the carts colliding.)

If minecart crushers are the problem, then I would just add it to the rules, that they are not allowed (or just clarify that they are not allowed by the existing rules (1.4) because they are causing lag). Maybe after a week of grace period mods or server script could just remove overlapping mine carts. (it's probably not as easy as select count(*),x,y,z... group by x,y,z having count(*)>2, but there is a script that checks mob farm limit, so it should be relatively easy to find/remove minecart crushers) IMO it's a much better solution than breaking existing passive mob farms.

(I don't use minecart crushers, because I heard that they are not server friendly. But I do use entity cramming cow farm, and this change would seem to unfairly punish the people who are not the cause of the problem.)

I think it would be nice to have next to the rules Server friendly tips, design examples, guides.

It would be better for everyone if people built server friendly designs from the ground up than having to break badly designed ones IMHO.

Elentric

2Fresh2Clean
Mod
Elentric
Elentric
Pilot
Dec 4, 2019
The Netherlands
disabling collisions also disables cramming as far as I know. that's why the rose was made, to give an easy solution as a replacement. If people currently are bypassing it and in turn filling any farm over the entity limit that currently is set to 50 (rule 1.4) then please report it and well handle it.