LinusTechTips Minecraft Network
Minecraft IP: mc.ltt.gg

TLDR but, Ideas to Improve Survival SMP (and maybe the other gamemodes)

Cyberbyte_010

Cyberbyte_010
Cyberbyte_010
Obsidian
Feb 27, 2020
First of all, great news about the server going to 1.16. I know Jake and all those involved must have been working their asses off trying to get it working. In saying that though, we've seen a downward slope of players leaving and the server dying. Of course 1.16 will bring new players and a boost, but we need to prevent the server from having a 2nd slow and drawn out death. I'm hoping some of my suggestions will help with that.

Rules Revisited & Staff Miscommunication
Of course the rules need to be there and need to be listened to, and rule breakers dealt with according to severity. But, some rules need 'tweaking', only slightly. Such as S.2 - No Unsolicited Advertisements. No we don't want the chat spammed with ads to shops, but then 'What's the point of having a shop plug-in, if no one knows it's there?' So you'll build a shop near spawn, yet as we have seen, the early players set up shop and claim the space, making a monopoly, making it unfair to new players, and lead to people not playing. Because if your thing is shops, and can't build near spawn, and can't say 'Hey, check out my shop when ur free, cheapest prices this side of the server' then frankly, what's this point? Added to that, players get dinged by this rule so many times, even when its not advertising. I myself got dinged when in a conversation with a player asking them if they still needed an item, and a helper saw that as advertising. I didn't think much of it. I know I wasn't advertising. So whatever. But so many others have had this problem, which leads to my 2nd point.

The rules are up to the Staff's discretion, but that leads to players being very annoyed when one Helper or Mod is lax in one area 'Hey guys, don't be a dick yh?' to others being strict and doling out judgement in the same area, without explanation nor any 'wiggle room' for discussion, using 2.8 - No Discussion of Punishments rule to shut things down, especially when said judgment doesn't fit the thing that's happened. And then cause a 'tide-wave' of sorts in appeals, and of course players not returning. I mean, why return to a server when things are not improving right? I have not experienced this, but I have seen so many posts and comments about this on here, and on discord. I may be wrong, but you don't get many players posting things like this and saying there is little, to 0 communication between players and staff, without cause and so this must be happening.

To fix this, 1, there needs to no longer be either shops, or a 'blanket ban' on advertising. There needs to be a balance between adverts, and unnecessary spamming in chat. Maybe a separate chat set up for shop adverts, a /shout command that has a cool-down of like, 15m, 1h, 24h, paired with a /ignore command, or a separate chat for advertising in discord and use a plug-in to have discord linked in-game. Whatever the solution, there needs to be balanced, or get rid of one of them, because its frankly not working. 2nd point, as much as the rules are guidelines and they are up to Staff discretion, they are pointless and worthless if they are not used in uniform, across the board with no difference to who is in the judging seat. Everyone needs to be on the same page. So BTS (Behind the Scenes) maybe Jake and the other Staff come together and decide on the minimum and maximum response to an action, and write it down for old and new staff to reference from. Like colour code it, bringing the server to its knees, big deep red, ban. Being an idiot making a lag machine, orange, official warning then ban if repeat. Advertising spam and not speaking English, green, friendly warning in chat. I don't know if you lot have something like that already, but from what I've seen on forums and discord, u guys are NOT on the same page here, and you need to be if the server has a fruit-bowl chance of succeeding.

Community Events
This I feel would bring the players together and make the server not feel like the 'run of the mill' survival server. We have had Staff making little games of, find me and u win a prize here and there, but I'm thinking bigger. When I was helping out running my old school's MC server (24yo now, feeling old) we set up Monthly and Yearly(Sept-July) events. One of the Yearly Events that was successful for many years was 'The Great Treasure Hunt'. Each Year, we would place a unique and rare item in the game, like an Enchanted Golden Apple, Totem, Nether Star, etc, Or more rare, Illegal items such as a Super Sword and Illegal stacked enchanted Armour. (Of course this would NOT be a good idea for a very public server, but with a server hosted in school with 11 to 16 and 16 to 20 year olds and could track that item easy, stop any dupes and the map and inventory gets reset at the end of every academic year, it worked for us, but included it to give the idea of what i'm talking about.)

We hid the 'treasure' somewhere in the map, and one of the builders we had builds an, Indiana Jones/Lara Croft type dungeon, fitting on where its located, Overworld, sea, underground, nether, the end, etc. And filled with Redstone traps and puzzles, then world edit it in to the map. The idea was to fit in a type of 'Lore' like, 'the Mystical Blade of Pain, that can kill those who attack you in one stroke', you get the idea. Added to that, this place would be protected by plugins that stopped blocks from being broken or placed, so players couldn't cheat, and the server PvP was set off, but this area, PvP was set to true, so added more risk. To find this place, we had our Maths teacher take the cords, split them and make each of the numbers the answer of a complex algebra equation posted on the schools forum every few weeks. This got the pupils involved wanting to learn things that hurts your head. lol. And always 'at the edge of their seats' waiting for the next equation. We set a plugin in place that would track the item, the last person who last handled the item, changed their name on the players list to something unique, allowing players to see the person holding the item, and try to take the item for themselves in PVP true areas of the map. Duping for us was rare fortunately and everyone enjoyed it.

This treasure hunt was so successful in getting pupils involved with puzzles, creative thinking and Maths as was the intent, but also brought the players themselves together, where teams of players/friend groups would worked together to work out the puzzles and killed those who dared approach. Even teachers and Staff that wouldn't think to play Minecraft sat down and took part. I think that this idea, albeit altered to fit in with a public server, would bring a great deal to the server, and keep the players wanting more, instead of dropping off as we've seen.

Celebrity Guest Appearances
Not much to be said bout this, but this is the LTT MC server. So whenever those LTT guys are not hard at work for that slave driver that is Linus lol, maybe have a timed slot for one of them to pop in and say Hi, have a few games, PvP, or interact with players, help with builds, chat etc. Always nice.

PvP Arena
Again, not much to be said, but maybe a set PvP arena to go along the planned mob arena. A wager and viewing area maybe.

Gameplay Additions
Taking inspiration from Xisumavoid's Datapack website, maybe add or find plugins similar to them to add a twist. Such as;
  • More Mob Heads (can use them as a sort of Pokemon thing, Gotta Collect 'Em All)
  • Player Head Drops (makes PvP 'Trophy' for the Killer)
  • Armor Statues (made Armour stands act like bedrock counterpart)
  • Multiplayer Sleep (allows the night to be skipped if threshold of players are sleeping, important for going past 1.12)
  • The Hermitcraft Tag game (adds a bit of fun other than the main game)
  • Back to Blocks (allows 2 slabs to go back into 1 block) [this one feels a bit cheaty, but for me its a godsend when i have chests full of slabs and need stairs etc]
Add a 'Sponsor Slot' in videos bout the server
This one is gonna get hate, and its ironic since i was one of the ppl complaining when Linus did that video a while back and the server turned into a picture show. So I'd say that, ONLY IF the server can handle the influx of new players at one time, then broadcast the server in videos. 2b2t kind of lag ppl like myself can handle lol, but if its not possible, its not possible.

I hope some of these ideas do come about, and if not feasible for the server, take these ideas and use them to inspire your lots, own ideas, staff and players, for the server, so that it keeps growing and growing. But the most important suggestion that MUST be done regardless of what's above, is communication. If the players feel frustrated, they will leave. Communication is Key.

dkressjr

dkressjr
dkressjr
Void
Mar 6, 2020
The rules are up to the Staff's discretion, but that leads to players being very annoyed when one Helper or Mod is lax in one area 'Hey guys, don't be a dick yh?' to others being strict and doling out judgement in the same area, without explanation nor any 'wiggle room' for discussion, using 2.8 - No Discussion of Punishments rule to shut things down, especially when said judgment doesn't fit the thing that's happened. And then cause a 'tide-wave' of sorts in appeals, and of course players not returning. I mean, why return to a server when things are not improving right? I have not experienced this, but I have seen so many posts and comments about this on here, and on discord. I may be wrong, but you don't get many players posting things like this and saying there is little, to 0 communication between players and staff, without cause and so this must be happening.
Back before the Ideas & Feedback subforum was shut down, there was a topic centered around trying to abolish rule 2.8. A couple of staff members chimed in, and the net result of that discussion made it clear that this rule is not going to change in any way. I know that this rule is frustrating at times, but the staff have made it clear that it will not change.

I totally agree (especially with spawn now being in its own dimension, meaning there will no longer be north/south/east/west towns) that there should be a way for shop owners to advertise their shops.
Maybe a separate chat set up for shop adverts, a /shout command that has a cool-down of like, 15m, 1h, 24h, paired with a /ignore command, or a separate chat for advertising in discord and use a plug-in to have discord linked in-game.
I saw this idea suggested in the past and, personally, I really like it. Hopefully, something like this could be added in the future. I recommend submitting a ticket for this idea. The mods have said that the best way to get these kinds of ideas to the staff that makes the decisions about implementing these requests is through the ticket system.

Reactions: Parzival8910

__paper

Regular
__paper
__paper
Mar 1, 2020
North Carolina, U.S.
Back before the Ideas & Feedback subforum was shut down, there was a topic centered around trying to abolish rule 2.8. A couple of staff members chimed in, and the net result of that discussion made it clear that this rule is not going to change in any way. I know that this rule is frustrating at times, but the staff have made it clear that it will not change.
I don't even know why we have this rule. It seems like its intended purpose is to keep people from complaining in public chat that they got banned, but it's being used for other purposes, namely removing things that have to do with a punishment or that mention a punishment. It's almost like censorship. It's a good practice in moderation, but imo it's going too far.

_Charky

Regular
May 30, 2020
I don't even know why we have this rule. It seems like its intended purpose is to keep people from complaining in public chat that they got banned, but it's being used for other purposes, namely removing things that have to do with a punishment or that mention a punishment. It's almost like censorship. It's a good practice in moderation, but imo it's going too far.
I think there needs to be some way to discuss punishment openly when this rule is in place. Not wanting people to rant and rave in-game that they got banned for "no reason" is fair. Not having an official, open method to get a second opinion is where it becomes problematic.

Reactions: __paper

Theultrasheeplord

Ultrasheeplord
Ultrasheeplord
Obsidian
Mar 15, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Gameplay Additions
Taking inspiration from Xisumavoid's Datapack website, maybe add or find plugins similar to them to add a twist. Such as;
  • More Mob Heads (can use them as a sort of Pokemon thing, Gotta Collect 'Em All)
  • Player Head Drops (makes PvP 'Trophy' for the Killer)
  • Armor Statues (made Armour stands act like bedrock counterpart)
  • Multiplayer Sleep (allows the night to be skipped if threshold of players are sleeping, important for going past 1.12)
  • The Hermitcraft Tag game (adds a bit of fun other than the main game)
  • Back to Blocks (allows 2 slabs to go back into 1 block) [this one feels a bit cheaty, but for me its a godsend when i have chests full of slabs and need stairs etc]
i agree with all your points execpt for this
while there are things i would add most of them are not it

while i do like the first 3 i recon we should have a diffrent heads plugin. maybe one bassed on mcmmo. also mob heads are already in the game and easy to get with channelling
as for the other points
multiplayer sleep means say if i wanted to do some stuff at night then i cant cause someone will sleep and it will be always day. additionly this will mean there will be no weather due to the way weather works in mc. while it is great for a small private server it is bad for a large public one. instead of this i suggest dissabling phantoms and making vils no longer use the day night cycle

the tag game should not be added it would not work on a large server

back to blocks is not very vannila and a bit cheaty

here is one of my ideas
1. shulkers respawn in endcittys. this means less people are loading chunks and the world size is shrunk. also people can get large quantitys of shulker shells

multiplayer sleep means say if i wanted to do some stuff at night then i cant cause someone will sleep and it will be always day. additionly this will mean there will be no weather due to the way weather works in mc. while it is great for a small private server it is bad for a large public one. instead of this i suggest dissabling phantoms and making vils no longer use the day night cycle
Not exactly true. It is usually setup as a vote to skip thing. As in you need a certain number of players to get in a bed for the sleep to happen. Usually, this is between 1/4 and 1/3. It works very well on other servers, including servers larger than this. It *IS* a good idea. Removing phantoms removes phantom membrane (used for repairing elytras) and disabling the villager day/night cycle is arguably even more non-vanilla than some of the solutions you have come up with.

Reactions: Parzival8910

Theultrasheeplord

Ultrasheeplord
Ultrasheeplord
Obsidian
Mar 15, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Not exactly true. It is usually setup as a vote to skip thing. As in you need a certain number of players to get in a bed for the sleep to happen. Usually, this is between 1/4 and 1/3. It works very well on other servers, including servers larger than this. It *IS* a good idea. Removing phantoms removes phantom membrane (used for repairing elytras) and disabling the villager day/night cycle is arguably even more non-vanilla than some of the solutions you have come up with.
a vote sleep thing could still ruin it for people who want night and want weather.just imaigne your idk curing a zombie village out in the open cause it was a good vill that got converted by mistake. then half way through the conversion the time suddenly jumps from midnight to dawn killing it. a vote isnt that different to a single player sleep

phantoms are extermly annoying and people have constantly been calling for their removal however lets just say that jake decieds that the world just cant live with ount repaired elytras or slow falling pots. in that case they should be nerfed by either having a reduced spawn rate or maybe being scared off by other stuff like beacons or something

dkressjr

dkressjr
dkressjr
Void
Mar 6, 2020
a vote sleep thing could still ruin it for people who want night and want weather.just imaigne your idk curing a zombie village out in the open cause it was a good vill that got converted by mistake. then half way through the conversion the time suddenly jumps from midnight to dawn killing it. a vote isnt that different to a single player sleep
All I'm getting from this argument is that a voting system would be bad because the vote might screw people who voted in the minority. Stating that a vote isn't that different to single-player sleep is an incredibly dumb statement. Skipping night due to a majority vote as opposed to a single vote is a really big difference.

That being said, I still don't like the idea of having night skipping because, as we are finding out, there is no real fair way to handle it that would make everyone happy. It is easiest to just make everyone stick out the night unless everyone in the server gets in a bed.

Cyberbyte_010

Cyberbyte_010
Cyberbyte_010
Obsidian
Feb 27, 2020
while i do like the first 3 i recon we should have a diffrent heads plugin. maybe one bassed on mcmmo. also mob heads are already in the game and easy to get with channelling
Actually, the data pack I'm on about if u look at it deals with loot tables and chances, like parrots are 100% chance of dropping a head bc they are somewhat rare and hard to find, whereas a horse head and shulker heads are say, 4% chance, increased by looting enchant. so not based upon the charged creeper mechanic so cant be cheated that way. Only Zombie, Skeleton, Creeper, Wither Skeleton, and then player heads via commands are in the game. This datapack adds textures to the REST of the mobs, to skeleton horses, shulkers, villigers, to bees and phantoms. so this would be a good addition. think how cool it would be having all these different heads to collect lol. And yh i agree the slabs to blocks is a bit cheaty, but had to try haha. The multiplayer sleep does work via a vote of a kind, if say 100 ppl are on, the threshold is at 75% has to sleep at once to skip the night, then 75 ppl would be required. so it can be managed.

really do hope that some of these ideas are considered, especially taking another look at the rules and maybe even having a public vote on here, majority wins etc.