LinusTechTips Minecraft Network
Minecraft IP: mc.ltt.gg

The LTT Network Minecraft 1.16 Game Plan

Howdy.

Ever since our initial alpha launch, a concern echoed by many-a-player has been the server version: 1.12.2. While familiar, nostalgic and widely supported by the mod community, the absence of later-released features left some things to be desired as expressed by many of you... ...until now

After much discussion, speculation, anticipation and behind-the-scenes work, we are proud to finally announce our transition to Minecraft version 1.16 for many of our game servers!

To ensure a smooth rollout, we will be deploying the update realm-by-realm:

Vanilla Survival

unnamed (1).png

Release: Thursday, July 9th at 10:00 AM PDT

Catered to the Minecraft veteran, this realm will offer an authentic vanilla experience, free from "pesky" luxuries such as currency and teleportation - while still maintaining land-claiming and trading systems to prevent griefing.
Spawn is set aboard a mysterious dark boat, permanently anchored in a vast ocean with no land in sight. As travel by sea would quickly prove fruitless, there is a nether portal below deck.

*The 1.12.2 Hard Survival realm of yesteryear will remain accessible in spectator mode for a week, after which a world download will be provided here on the forum.

Survival

unknown (1) (1).png

Tentative Release: Saturday, July 11th at 12:00 PM PDT (this may change)

For your every day Minecrafter, the Survival realm features many creature comforts like an economy system, teleportation, and more! We may end up creating multiple synced Survival realms in the future to handle player load, but we will update you all if that is going to happen.

*The 1.12 survival realm will remain accessible in spectator mode for a week, after which a world download will be provided here on the forum.

Towny

While we do not have a date to announce just yet, we do intend to release a 1.16 Towny realm once its dependencies are updated. Gameplay enhancements, including recurring scheduled wartimes, are also in the works.

Creative / Parkour

The Creative and Parkour realms will remain on 1.12.2 for the time being, although 1.16 clients are supported. An announcement will be made if/when this changes.

Written By: Jawa_Juice
Edited By: Jakkuh​

Comments

TTG3333

TTG3333
TTG3333
Void
Apr 18, 2020
Canada
When there will be the 7 day spectator period for the maps, we should have access to a command that allows to teleport to specific coordinates so that we can easily see other people's builds.

Reactions: DyDestroyer1027

BR88C

BR88C
BR88C
Pilot
Apr 30, 2020
When there will be the 7 day spectator period for the maps, we should have access to a command that allows to teleport to specific coordinates so that we can easily see other people's builds.
Im considering doing a museum like thing with towny by creating an outpost by spawn, where towns can get a plot and put up a map, some signs with coords to their town and outposts, and having a TP command would be nice in the spectator world

Reactions: KFChicken

KFChicken

Regular
May 6, 2020
Im considering doing a museum like thing with towny by creating an outpost by spawn, where towns can get a plot and put up a map, some signs with coords to their town and outposts, and having a TP command would be nice in the spectator world
That would be quite cool

Szik

Regular
Mar 27, 2020
I'm glad that 1.16 is coming to LTT server, I think it will help getting players... but keeping them is another issue... we will see.

I think most of us want the server to be successful, and want to help.

One major pain point I saw repeatedly brought up is communication. A lot of people are in the dark, not knowing what is happening or what to expect. It's human nature to fear the unknown. And you might have heard this: "fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering"

I appreciate this post, but it would be better if these things were announced well ahead of time, and not 1 or 2 days before they happen. It would help people prepare. Not every one of us are full time Minecraft players. Sometimes work or other commitments prevent us from logging in and/or reading the forum... It would also help if these plans were announced in the planning stage and not just when they are rolled out. (Asking for public feedback during the planning phase might be also something to consider.)

The World download is a nice touch so people can keep their builds they spent a lot of hours on. Thanks.

We still don't know when towny will be updated, or what the process will be, will it involve a reset, what kind...
I hope we will get more heads up than the other realms did...

I'm sure some players don't mind a reset, or even want a reset (where my speed runners are at? ; ), (I have an ide for these people: I would suggest buying diamonds at spawn with their money, then walking down to the nether portal, and finding a nice place where they can throw their entire inventory into lava, so they can start from 0 ; ) but I wouldn't like it, I don't want to spend hundreds of hours just to get where I'm at now (where I can help others or do fun builds without grinding for materials).

Expanding the map might be possible and maybe relocating spawn to the new area, so new players can start fresh in the new 1.16 chunks.
Some builds will break in the new version (iron farm for example), but it's still easier to rebuild/modify than to start from 0, looking for villagers...
If the overworld resets it's not the end of the world, but it would be nice if at least we could transfer items, mcmmo stats, money to the new world.
If everything resets do we get anything in the new world for "beta testing" the 1.12 server and putting in 1000+ hours building towns, economy...? (Or is it just "Here's your world download. Bye.") (I mean it's not like I didn't have fun playing the game, but I was planning for the long run, I have 1000 days worth of upkeep in my town's bank, if I had known that the server was going to reset I would have played differently...)

Mikerman

Mikerman
Mikerman
Gold
Apr 30, 2020
Germany
I'm glad that 1.16 is coming to LTT server, I think it will help getting players... but keeping them is another issue... we will see.

I think most of us want the server to be successful, and want to help.

One major pain point I saw repeatedly brought up is communication. A lot of people are in the dark, not knowing what is happening or what to expect. It's human nature to fear the unknown. And you might have heard this: "fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering"

I appreciate this post, but it would be better if these things were announced well ahead of time, and not 1 or 2 days before they happen. It would help people prepare. Not every one of us are full time Minecraft players. Sometimes work or other commitments prevent us from logging in and/or reading the forum... It would also help if these plans were announced in the planning stage and not just when they are rolled out. (Asking for public feedback during the planning phase might be also something to consider.)

The World download is a nice touch so people can keep their builds they spent a lot of hours on. Thanks.

We still don't know when towny will be updated, or what the process will be, will it involve a reset, what kind...
I hope we will get more heads up than the other realms did...

I'm sure some players don't mind a reset, or even want a reset (where my speed runners are at? ; ), (I have an ide for these people: I would suggest buying diamonds at spawn with their money, then walking down to the nether portal, and finding a nice place where they can throw their entire inventory into lava, so they can start from 0 ; ) but I wouldn't like it, I don't want to spend hundreds of hours just to get where I'm at now (where I can help others or do fun builds without grinding for materials).

Expanding the map might be possible and maybe relocating spawn to the new area, so new players can start fresh in the new 1.16 chunks.
Some builds will break in the new version (iron farm for example), but it's still easier to rebuild/modify than to start from 0, looking for villagers...
If the overworld resets it's not the end of the world, but it would be nice if at least we could transfer items, mcmmo stats, money to the new world.
If everything resets do we get anything in the new world for "beta testing" the 1.12 server and putting in 1000+ hours building towns, economy...? (Or is it just "Here's your world download. Bye.") (I mean it's not like I didn't have fun playing the game, but I was planning for the long run, I have 1000 days worth of upkeep in my town's bank, if I had known that the server was going to reset I would have played differently...)
The server was in Beta State, so the reset was not something surprising i think.
But i very agree with you that the date of reset was really unexpected. I knew about reset only from rumors, inside informations but not from a public announcement.
I think for all the players to know about the reset atleast a week or month in advance would be only fair. Many players could not even finish their build for the world download. Its like conserving unfinished picture or music piece.

The Idea of having your stats tranfer to the new server is a bit against the point of an reset. If we reset we want to sart anew. so every player has same chances once again. But Still i feen unrewarded for all the time i spend on the server. I would like to a a some kind of rewand for players depending on their time spend on the server.
For example giving then an unique Item that no other player has. It would be beatiful accessorie for a base on the new 1.16 that reminds of the times in beta, and shows that you took part in it.

Szik

Regular
Mar 27, 2020
The server was in Beta State, so the reset was not something surprising i think.
Maybe... Gmail was in beta but they didn't reset and delete user data...
Just because something is in beta doesn't mean a reset is necessary. But maybe it's common for minecraft servers, I'm not an expert ;)
It definitely wasn't clear to me... still isn't...
Someone just said in game chat that it's on the forum that there isn't going to be a full wipe... I don't know what they are talking about.
I think there is a lot of fake news because of the lack of clear communication (probably because it hasn't been decided and no one knows ... it would be very disappointing if they knew and decided to not tell us).

Reactions: KFChicken

_Charky

Regular
May 30, 2020
Maybe... Gmail was in beta but they didn't reset and delete user data...
Just because something is in beta doesn't mean a reset is necessary. But maybe it's common for minecraft servers, I'm not an expert ;)
It definitely wasn't clear to me... still isn't...
Someone just said in game chat that it's on the forum that there isn't going to be a full wipe... I don't know what they are talking about.
I think there is a lot of fake news because of the lack of clear communication (probably because it hasn't been decided and no one knows ... it would be very disappointing if they knew and decided to not tell us).
It is common. Gmail was written by google, so they weren't relying on others' software or updates - they were fully in control. They didn't have to "backport" features because there's only one version of Gmail!
With something like minecraft, you have to hope for cohesion between
  • the base game
  • the server side mods
  • the clients (people use different versions)
  • client side mods / tweaks (also for different versions)
  • the world file
  • players' inventories and designs
  • more
and it's hard if not impossible to do all of that, let alone trying to "port in" older features. It's much more reasonable to create a new, 1.16 server which has a fresh world with all the new features, and only has people connecting from the 1.16 client. The bonus here is that upgrading from 1.12 to 1.17 would have many dramatic changes, where an update from 1.16 to 1.17 will be a much smaller step if / when the time comes.

Szik

Regular
Mar 27, 2020
I get that is the chunk data file format is incompatible than upgrading chunks to the new version might not be possible (and definitely more work than just creating a new world).
But I thought the client always let you updrade existing worlds so that shouldn't be an issue. A missing server side plugin or a plugin that uses a different data structure in the new version and whose creators didn't provide any tool to upgrade could be an issue.

I don't understand what would need to be backported. We are not converting a 1.16 world into 1.12. And I don't think we want older clients to connect to the new/upgraded server. If the server is running 1.16 only 1.16+ clients should connect to it independent of if a new world was generated or an existing world was upgraded. (no need to backport client features)

I'm not familiar with Minecraft history, complete changelog. What features were removed since 1.12 that would be needed to "port in older features"?

I don't get what 1.17 has to do with anything, 1.17 could be just as incompatible to 1.16 as 1.16 is to 1.12. So it could require another reset... (1.12-upgrade-1.16-upgrade-1.17 is twice as may upgrades/work than 1.12-upgrade-1.17, just as 1.12-reset-1.16-reset-1.17 is twice as may resets/lost creations than 1.12-reset-1.17, and there is no guarantee that 1.12-reset-1.16-upgrade-1.17 will be possible)
But I do agree that we shouldn't wait for 1.17 to come out, it's better to upgrade or reset to the current version now.

(I've been playing 1.14 before I started on this server, and I have been missing features and they were annoying. I had to learn "outdated" mechanics (like village doors) to play on this 1.12 server, but learning was fun. First I didn't understand why they decided to deploy an older game version, but I see how it could be appealing to older minecraft generation, I hope they had fun playing their old favorite version and ready to learn new things - it's not that I'm young, I just had not played the earlier minecraft versions.)

My problem isn't with the world reset. It's probably better to create a brand new world and provide a working world download that people can take home and keep, than to brick their builds with the upgrade (in which case they wouldn't get a working copy). The problem is not knowing what to expect, lack of planning/ timely communication. (A mod said in an other topic that there won't be a reset 4 days before the reset happened...)

World editing in existing towns could be possible, but would be extra work, probably won't happen.
But it would be nice if we could bring over some stuff to the new world (balance, mcmmo stats, echest content, inventory... maybe even letting players bring over items via a portal to the old world - I have seen this on other server - or some combination of these)

BR88C

BR88C
BR88C
Pilot
Apr 30, 2020
World editing in existing towns could be possible, but would be extra work, probably won't happen.
Yes, definitely too much work, as it has to be done by hand and most methods require you to transfer things like chests and shulkers one by one, and attempting to terraform around the town afterwards is a lot of work especially for larger towns, as the old environment the town was in will most likely not exactly fit with the new.

But it would be nice if we could bring over some stuff to the new world (balance, mcmmo stats, echest content, inventory... maybe even letting players bring over items via a portal to the old world - I have seen this on other server - or some combination of these)
I would love to see mcmmo stats transferred as I've spent hours grinding (Although I'm not sure how easy it is to roll forward the mcmmo database as the plugin has changed tremendously in the past few years as minecraft has gotten newer versions), but as for transferring your inventory, echest, and balance, it would just be people shoving as many things in shulkers to cram it in their echest and inventory, then unpacking everything and making a new town and nation right away. I think doing that would turn this whole thing from a new beginning to an inconvenience, and I would certainly prefer a new beginning.

Szik

Regular
Mar 27, 2020
it would just be people shoving as many things in shulkers to cram it in their echest and inventory
Yes it would, but I could only fit a fraction of my town into those shulkers. I have multiple double chests full of shulkers :) ... RIP :(

New beginning for who, why? (for the 3 players online, the people already left and began playing on another server or new players)
If the issues in "How to maintain a Minecraft Server/Community" topic are not solved then there is no point of new beginning IMHO.

...so, I was wondering if a reset would benefit new players, if it was the "fair" thing to do.

I think people - who put in more work - having more stuff is fair.

Resetting the world will not make it fair. People with 9 to 5 jobs will always be in disadvantage to full time Minecraft players.

Providing fresh start with a full wipe will make it “fair” for new players for … a day … a week? After that new players will be in the same situation as they would be now: others have more than they.

And that’s fine, that’s what happened to me. I didn’t start at launch. I joined the world after there were already huge towns, shops… and I worked myself to the top, and it was a fun challenge. I created a one-person town, it was at the end of the town list, several pages down, it still is, I have never advertised my town and shop that would violate server rules T.3… I was active in chat, I provided cheap books to anyone who asked during the “boomer price war” and slowly people got to know my town and started shopping there. I’m not the richest person on towny realm, but my town has more money in the bank than any other town on the server :) I also grinded mcmmo stats to the top (1st place in overall power level and top 10 in almost every category)

Though it was a fun (but time consuming) challenge, one thing is for certain: I’m not doing it again!

I have an idea that could be fun for people who like repetitive grinds: Create a realm that resets daily.
It could be the home for speed runners. There could be a scoreboard with fastest time to achievements (not just to beating the game)... it would be “fair” in a sense that it didn’t matter when you joined/started playing. (it’s not a counter of how many times you killed the end dragon, which could also be a separate thing)

dkressjr

dkressjr
dkressjr
Void
Mar 6, 2020
I'm going to miss my old home :C
Do we have an ETA on the 1.12 download?

*The 1.12 survival realm will remain accessible in spectator mode for a week, after which a world download will be provided here on the forum.
As per the post, the world download for the 1.12 realm will be posted on the forum no sooner than 1 week from now. So, hopefully it will be close to a week from now.
In the meantime, the post also says that we should be able to access the old world with spectator mode, but I cannot figure out how to do that. So, don't know if they are still planning on doing that...
EDIT: If you use the "Server Selector" compass in one of the lobbies, you can connect to either the old Survival or Hard SMP realms in spectator mode...

Last edited:
Reactions: electroclassic

BR88C

BR88C
BR88C
Pilot
Apr 30, 2020
That’s great
ive been trying to join your server but having difficulty with it
how do I do it
im using mcpe on ipad
The server is java edition only, so it cannot be played on an ipad.