Lag on the network

Which Fix would you want (if any)

• Total voters

DyDestroyer1027

Regular
trainboyns2
trainboyns2
Feb 27, 2020
I've noticed since the influx of new players that lag has become an issue. Arthur said that Jake said that the TPS (ticks per second) of the server (which basically is a measure of lag and should be at 20) was around 12 TPS at 6:40 PM Est on April 18th. There are a few fixes, and a server upgrade isn't one of them.
The server is most likely running on the best package the server provider has, so we can't upgrade.

Fixes

1. Reduce the player cap for the server and use the queue system. If such a queue were to be implemented, I feel that it is fair that players who arrived at the server and stayed active should get some kind of priority. This may also work for ranks, but I don't know if such a thing is allowed.

2. Reduce lag causing items and entities. Beyond cutting down on chunk load and players, we could reduce the number of lag items that could cause in a loaded or frequented area by reducing the amount or unloading them somehow. The shop towns with numerous signs seem to be an issue, but a large mall at the start of south town means there is less stuff spread out, and just small shops in one building*. We could also unload the towns in the first place. Placing them in a pocket dimension that is only loaded when it is needed is another option, but that would require lots of work, and lead to a whole other host of potential issues.

*I know that mall is called the alpha mall, it looks nice and I would eventually like to join in, as I fit withing the "alpha theme" (i joined less than a month into the entire server's lifespan.)

• Haha
Reactions: Neff and __paper

Neff

Regular
Feb 17, 2020
but a large mall at the start of south town means there is less stuff spread out, and just small shops in one building*
Only the first floor of the mall has shops. If anything, our mall has fewer shops per chunk compared to other claims that are stacked over multiple levels.

Codixer

Regular
Apr 19, 2020
I've noticed since the influx of new players that lag has become an issue. Arthur said that Jake said that the TPS (ticks per second) of the server (which basically is a measure of lag and should be at 20) was around 12 TPS at 6:40 PM Est on April 18th. There are a few fixes, and a server upgrade isn't one of them.
The server is most likely running on the best package the server provider has, so we can't upgrade.

Fixes

1. Reduce the player cap for the server and use the queue system. If such a queue were to be implemented, I feel that it is fair that players who arrived at the server and stayed active should get some kind of priority. This may also work for ranks, but I don't know if such a thing is allowed.

2. Reduce lag causing items and entities. Beyond cutting down on chunk load and players, we could reduce the number of lag items that could cause in a loaded or frequented area by reducing the amount or unloading them somehow. The shop towns with numerous signs seem to be an issue, but a large mall at the start of south town means there is less stuff spread out, and just small shops in one building*. We could also unload the towns in the first place. Placing them in a pocket dimension that is only loaded when it is needed is another option, but that would require lots of work, and lead to a whole other host of potential issues.

*I know that mall is called the alpha mall, it looks nice and I would eventually like to join in, as I fit withing the "alpha theme" (i joined less than a month into the entire server's lifespan.)
The idea's you have may solve the problem a little, but this problem isn't as easy to fix. It's currently more the problem of Minecraft itself. On higher versions, you need better hardware to actually run the server since Minecraft has to load a lot and keep track of so much. It could (possibly) be fixed with some changes to the paper.yml (If they use paper) and the spigot.yml. Fixing some of the problems it may have.

TheCdubs

Regular
TheCdubs
TheCdubs
Apr 21, 2020
1.15 and 1.16(soon enough) versions of Minecraft would run even smoother for servers. They have optimized a lot in the most recent updates. Since the server supports 1.12-1.15 right now, it doesn't have these optimizations that Mojang has implemented. So I think that is another issue.

The idea's you have may solve the problem a little, but this problem isn't as easy to fix. It's currently more the problem of Minecraft itself. On higher versions, you need better hardware to actually run the server since Minecraft has to load a lot and keep track of so much. It could (possibly) be fixed with some changes to the paper.yml (If they use paper) and the spigot.yml. Fixing some of the problems it may have.
If you look at your F3 Menu, they are using Paper. But changes in the .yml file wouldn't change much, they would just need to find other ways to specifically optimize their needs on the server(Looking at plugins, players, etc. Some plugins are so inefficient that they could be causing lag).