Is This Server Dying?

Langley_Man

/OP MOD
Mod
Langley_Man
Langley_Man
Dec 6, 2019
Theultrasheeplord

Just because its not closed does not mean its not been looked at. In fact it has. I cannot tell you more than that as it has nothing to do with you and its being worked on.
as mentioned previously player reports have nothing to do with you thus you should never hear back. the moment u submit the ticket you should consider it closed.
"unless of course, it has something to do with you or your involved.

Theultrasheeplord

Ultrasheeplord
Ultrasheeplord
Obsidian
Mar 15, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
A public ticket system is not at all feasible and i hope you peeps can understand that.
Bug reports- cannot be open due to server security as they can be used to exploit the server.
Player reports cannot be public as that violates the server rules about player infraction discussion., Also due to server security.
i understand and it makes total sense why those tickets are private
i am instead suggesting that the feedback tickets be public

Langley_Man

/OP MOD
Mod
Langley_Man
Langley_Man
Dec 6, 2019
I totally agree that there is a possibility to make changes there. and is something to bring up again in the future.

Until the fate of 1.16 is decided and or implemented tbo I wouldn't expect anything in regards to big changes, As all staff are focussed on that rn.

dkressjr

dkressjr
dkressjr
Void
Mar 6, 2020
A public ticket system is not at all feasible and i hope you peeps can understand that.
Bug reports- cannot be open due to server security as they can be used to exploit the server.
Player reports cannot be public as that violates the server rules about player infraction discussion., Also due to server security.

In regards to suggestions
right now "every" suggestion is sent to an admin or owner.

Although I do agree with some arguments you made and feel in regard to "suggestions " in general there could be something possibly done better.

The truth is that this server has an owner and a company behind it. We could have 20 suggestions with 20+k likes each and tons of comments. The Owner or the company behind this server has there own vision and may choose to totally ignore it and go in a separate direction. That is the nature of things. This is not a community paid for server.

We cant have the mentality that every suggestion we have is to be implemented. What I can promise is that every suggestion is looked at, And its awsome that were allowed to share our ideas with them.

BTW sheeplord im literally copying some of your points and submitting them via a ticket so they get seen.

Keep in mind that as Jake has said were working on implementing 1.16 if all checks out. This is basically the priority so when suggestions come in. its basically on the back burner as 1.16 is on the top of the list right now.

Ty for the clarification. I think the tone in the way your first reply made it seem like that the mods and admins weren't reading them at all for suggestions and that the only way to get a suggestion to the admin team was through a support ticket. I think most understand that it is literally impossible to have all of our suggestions or ideas implemented and I think many recognize that this server is operated by LMG and, because of that, the server has to be operated in a certain way. Just your first reply to this thread made it seem like you'd be wasting your time if you posted an idea on the forum because it wouldn't be looked at.

We really love all comments and server suggestions. But don't underestimate how busy some of our staff actually are.
ty for y'alls work. I appreciate it 👍

Langley_Man

/OP MOD
Mod
Langley_Man
Langley_Man
Dec 6, 2019
For clarification purposes. Say you had a suggestion that was 100% guaranteed to get implemented if it made its way to those in charge.

Let's examine the path it would take using these two methods.

On the forum, by posting it in a thread a mod would need to see it and agree it was worth passing on. Or possibly a VERY rare chance those in charge had the time to actually look at the forum and glanced on it. - We can't force the people in charge to set time aside to read the forum. It's also unreasonable to demand it from them.
They also deal with the actual LTT forum, multiple discards, Current LTT projects " there Actual Job" and so on.

OR

you post it in our current ticket system "yes I agree it isn't perfect" - sent directly to management. Done.

now of course this is an example. In real life a good suggestion in you're head may not be that great to someone else.
Also we cant expect a reply or feedback for every suggestion from management.
Jake would literally need to leave LMG to just write replies.

Keep in mind how things are run will progress with the server. And for what really is a charity server at this point I'm just grateful we have this. Obviously, if this was a paid server there would be continual progression. However, were relying on the awesome staff at LMG to work on this in the little spare time they have and deserved the utmost respect from all of us for doing so.

Reactions: LunaRayToo

Theultrasheeplord

Ultrasheeplord
Ultrasheeplord
Obsidian
Mar 15, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
For clarification purposes. Say you had a suggestion that was 100% guaranteed to get implemented if it made its way to those in charge.

Let's examine the path it would take using these two methods.

On the forum, by posting it in a thread a mod would need to see it and agree it was worth passing on. Or possibly a VERY rare chance those in charge had the time to actually look at the forum and glanced on it. - We can't force the people in charge to set time aside to read the forum. It's also unreasonable to demand it from them.
They also deal with the actual LTT forum, multiple discards, Current LTT projects " there Actual Job" and so on.

OR

you post it in our current ticket system "yes I agree it isn't perfect" - sent directly to management. Done.

now of course this is an example. In real life a good suggestion in you're head may not be that great to someone else.
Also we cant expect a reply or feedback for every suggestion from management.
this is avoiding my main argument
i am not saying tickets are bad
i am saying the ability for other community members to collaborate on feedback is important
if it is impossible to have this feature along with the ticket system please say so

i would also like to say that this server isnt massive and while it may be difficult to reply to all suggestions i feel like "Jake would literally need to leave LMG to just write replies" is a bit of an exaggeration (granted i dont have access to the tickets and dont know how many there are)

Reactions: Langley_Man

Langley_Man

/OP MOD
Mod
Langley_Man
Langley_Man
Dec 6, 2019
Sorry i was replying to dkressjr

i am not saying tickets are bad
i am saying the ability for other community members to collaborate on feedback is important
if it is impossible to have this feature along with the ticket system please say so
Totally understand and agree suggestions can be done better.. However, all this is, well is a suggestion and if the powers at be agree down the road it should be be looked into. right now however all the focus is on 1.16

(granted i dont have access to the tickets and dont know how many there are)
Jake doesn't have free time, Its that simple. He does do his best to accommodate everyone not only on this server but the 70,000 other users messaging him on the main discord. We literally have no right to require him to read threw pages of discussion just For 1 plugin. I know jake not only online but in person and consider him a friend, He's doing his best to make everyone happy That's just the type of guy he is.. I've never met a 20yr old with this much responsibility and stress. we all need to just let him do his thing.

Again i agree it could be better, but unlike large servers, this is not a business with devs coming out of our butt on the payroll and paid staff. "at least at current"

The reasoning for the current system is streamlining information to the staff is key.

Totally up for change that helps everyone, however this being just a suggestion its filed as such. I dont have permission to make those changes myself, it comes only from one man, and right now his time is on the upgrade...

We should definitely touch on this again after and see if a system can be put in place that everyone can be happy with and isn't a burden on staff.. I'm sure with all our big brains something can be accomplished. I hope you all have a great nite.

Szik

Regular
Mar 27, 2020
Szik

Can i ask where the money for staff /mods would come from?
From Void Rank Subscriptions ?
Lifetime Ranks could also provide some money, but since it's not recurring it's harder to plan with it. But it could be used as an end of the year bonus or something showing appreciation...

Why are you asking? What's the point?
Is this a comment on my "unpaid internship" remark/joke (I know I forgot the smiley face.) or something else?
Do you actually looking for business advice or just trying to pick at something I said?

Do you disagree with most or all of the other things I wrote? (Have you actually read it? cause I mentioned the store already)

To be clear. It's perfectly fine to help out for free, dedicate some of your time to a project that are passionate about. There is nothing wrong not getting paid if you like what you are doing...
But if you are getting bitter because you are not getting paid and people request stuff... (because you have to deal with children) maybe it's time to reevaluate if you are still passionate about the project if you still want to help. I'm not saying it's you, and it's fine to complain about a**holes...
My point was that mods do a thankless job, so they should probably be compensated for it one way or another.

Langley_Man

/OP MOD
Mod
Langley_Man
Langley_Man
Dec 6, 2019
Was just looking for input is all because as of current ranks and roles don't cover a fraction of the server cost & money needs to come from somewhere.
It's easy to just say pay for this or that, so that's why i was asking if you had ideas as to where to get this from.

I don't disagree or agree with anything, we're all entitled to our own opinions.

All LMG moderators volunteer for the love of the community and enthusiasm for technology.

Reactions: dkressjr

Szik

Regular
Mar 27, 2020
I see. Sorry to hear that.
I don't have any knowledge about the server cost,or how many people bought ranks. (I can only guess the latter one from what I see in chat.)
I know they made a video explaining their revenues a while back. Did they say publicly anything about the minecraft server cost? (In other words should I have known?)

Sure we're all entitled to our own opinions. I was asking for yours. You are by no means required to give it of course if you rather keep it private.

Langley_Man

/OP MOD
Mod
Langley_Man
Langley_Man
Dec 6, 2019
I'm certain cost was never really discussed publicly, however, its not that hard to get a ballpark idea by googling what it would cost to "Host" and "Purchase" this hardware.

Quoting what was publicly stated were running multiple Intel® Xeon® E-2288G Processor dedicated servers, of course, this doesn't take into account proxies and additional backend services.

Basically OG as OG gets.

Reactions: A4N0NYM0U52

Szik

Regular
Mar 27, 2020
I have looked up some modded paperMC hosting and it was under $20 for 60 players, so that would mean every 15th player would need to pay for void. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
Sure if you are running the highest end server it will cost more, and if no one playing on it then it will be only fractions of the cost.

But I thought we were discussing how to increase the player base and have possibly more void ranked players...

A4N0NYM0U52

Regular
Apr 21, 2020
I know this is in the Survival Forum, but I'd like to express my position as a Towny player.

I feel that towny has suffered more than survival has, and while I'm not saying survival isn't becoming a dead realm, but we have had an average of 3-7 players online for the past 2 weeks. Towns have been falling extremely quickly and massive towns that used to thrive have become ghost towns with at most 2 players logging on maybe once a week. Older players (in the sense of how long they have been playing on the server) have slowly started to leave. So far this week I have been the only person online in towny on two occasions, which has never happened to me prior.

Another problem I have experienced as a mayor and I'm sure other mayors are is that residents are being lost so quickly that we are running out of the amount of land we are allowed to claim, and we can't get new residents to be able to claim more land due to the lack of new players joining the server. My town has over 280 chunks claimed, with only 320ish that we are allowed, and a lot of projects I have planned have been put on hold until I get new residents.

I feel the loss of players is due to the low player count deterring new players, along with as poor moderation, which has most definitely caused some players to leave the server. I had an experience where I was warned for calling a player "edgy"... if things like this continue, I would not be surprised to see this current trend of players going inactive continue. There have also been issues with mods enforcing the "50 villager limit per town" rule. A town experienced a problem where a mod saw they had over 50 villagers and destroyed the villager breeder instead of just flicking the lever to turn it off, causing the village established there to move, and thus a chain reaction of problems with breeding afterwards. Furthermore, the lack of transparency of updating to 1.16 has been terrible. Even though it is hard to predict things such as plugin support, release dates for plugins, etc, at LEAST let the players know if resetting the world is a consideration or a worst case scenario that should be avoided at all costs, as it affects a lot of players motivation to continue to put forth time and effort into the server.

If more events could be held on the server to attract new players, like a massive PVP tournament, or a scavenger hunt, SOMETHING, so that players stay occupied and with plenty to do. Plus, it would present the opportunity to give the server a shoutout, which I feel is necessary, as the amount of new players joining isn't enough to keep up with the amount of players leaving.

There have also been technical issues driving people away, such as mobcaps and problems with the anti-cheat kicking players, creating false warnings to the mods, and simple things like not letting 1.14 and 1.15 clients walk on soul sand without horrendous rubber banding. Many players in my nation have been false banned, some I know FOR SURE due to them being live in a discord VC and myself and others being able to see that they were not cheating.

Overall, I feel that if the server was better managed, it could grow to have a massive player base and thrive. I hate to see the server go downhill like this, but if something isn't done soon, I do not see the server coming back.
My apologies for your realm... Hope more people will join...

Reactions: KFChicken

A4N0NYM0U52

Regular
Apr 21, 2020
A lot of the active players have been antagonistic to the idea of the server growing. Remember everyone shrieking "why did he plug it on WAN show?!? Worst thing to ever happen!"
I'll give my opinion as to why the server is slowing down: The server owners and mods are ignoring the community, and are letting the server die. Real issues go unresolved for weeks or months, and when something is finally done, it is a half-measure. There's still a real problem with unutilized claims near spawn. Huge lots that are just vacant, right on the spawn border, and every player has to walk past it to get to the shops. There's still a problem with unexpired claims from people who just wanted to check out the server once. If you don't have time in the game, your claim should expire more quickly. There's another problem with people marking out HUGE swaths of land near key spawn points and monopolizing it. It's very unwelcoming to new players or anyone who wants to add their own creative spark to the world. Claims near spawn need to be smaller, or barring that, more controlled. There needs to be a system of roads or public walkways of some kind. This has to be admin controlled, not up to the players. Maybe there could be Kings of the North, South, East, and West, that would make determinations on how to lay out available plots in their region.
There needs to be a public information board in the game, where players can advertise their shops and locations.
The server admins need to have daily or weekly events of some kind, because you have to foster a community for one to develop. If you ignore it, it withers and dies.
The server mods can't just go around judging people all day. They need to be active community builders. There really should be four daily players (at a minimum) who are both the mods and the Kings in a certain region of the map. They need to build bases that everyone can see. They need to settle land disputes and stop bad behavior. Most importantly, they need to be seen online, regularly.
Finally, your number of claims and homes should probably increase as your game time increases. Maybe after 10000 blocks you get 1 more claim, and after 20000 you get another so you can have 7 claims. And since we're doing home warps, Your number of homes should go up to 4 and then 5.
The public "freebies" need to be decreased. Specifically, the Endfarms are TOO OP. The server-protected endfarms should be abandoned. Such things need to be created and maintained by the players. The whole point of Survival is you have to work for your rewards.
I think that's about it for now. I could probably come up with a couple more issues, but should I have to? For any 1 of these issues to go on for months is too much. For 7 or 8 issues to all go unchecked indeterminately? Of course the server will die.
P.S. - I hate to add this one, but I must. A lot of the people that are drawn to the server are here, at least in part, for the "celebrity" factor. At least ONCE IN A WHILE staff from LTT have to make an appearance. It can be a brief celebrity cameo. You can even schedule it. Maybe a different staffer, of the 3 or 4 that are interested, can do an in game Q&A for an hour every other week. Or if not a Q&A, then hold some sort of contest or something. A giveaway. A race. Anything. Just a little something to give back and show that you give a hoot about the people that are your fans.
I mean that’s kinda hard survival on LTT though. (They should add hardcore)

Reactions: Langley_Man

Neff

Regular
Feb 17, 2020
We can't force the people in charge to set time aside to read the forum. It's also unreasonable to demand it from them.
No one is suggesting that Jake doesn't have a job. No one is demanding that Jake read every forum post. We want better communication and transparency from the mod team specifically.

The Owner or the company behind this server has there own vision and may choose to totally ignore it and go in a separate direction. That is the nature of things. This is not a community paid for server.
This is a multiplayer server. Suggesting that Jake could have no interest in what the players want has me questioning if you've misread him. Likewise, many community members have donated to the server for minor cosmetics. There's no need for this kind of hostility.

Exactly why having a "Feedback/Ideas" forum section would be helpful, so that players can discuss changes they think would be beneficial to the server, and offer eachother a different point of view.

This is hyperbolic, and not at all helpful to the discussion. Please refrain from exaggerating when we're attempting to have a discussion about the server's viability.

Jake doesn't have free time, Its that simple. He does do his best to accommodate everyone not only on this server but the 70,000 other users messaging him on the main discord. We literally have no right to require him to read threw pages of discussion just For 1 plugin.
Again, hyperbolic. Most of the users on the discord don't directly message Jake, and if they do, it's due to hitting a wall with mods being reluctant to help the community at large.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that reading through pages of discussion for a single plugin is coming from, and we're not suggesting that either.

One point of this thread was, among other issues, that the mod team isn't doing very well to listen to the players. Often times it feels that it's a "mods vs players scenario". I think your attitude in this post reflects why that sentiment is brought up so often.

__paper

Regular
__paper
__paper
Mar 1, 2020
Eastern U.S.
Most of the users on the discord don't directly message Jake, and if they do, it's due to hitting a wall with mods being reluctant to help the community at large.
Maybe not on the LTT Network discord, but I bet all of the LMG Staff get a lot of DM's from the 70,000 people in the main Discord. That's what Langely said:
but the 70,000 other users messaging him on the main discord.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that reading through pages of discussion for a single plugin is coming from, and we're not suggesting that either.
There was a lot of discussion on the multi-player sleep plugin in the past. Either way, you don't have to take this literally. There is a lot of stuff that people say on this forum, and trying to read and comprehend a meaningful portion of it would be insane.

dkressjr

dkressjr
dkressjr
Void
Mar 6, 2020
I think an important thing to keep in mind is that the server is still in "beta."
That means that we expect to have these issues as Jake and the rest of the server staff are trying to find out what works and what doesn't work.

I believe that Jake and the staff all want to see this server grow, so they are doing the best they can within the resources they have to address issues they find as well as issues we find.

I think through our discussions on the forum, we have all found out that running a server like this requires work and lots of it.

@Langley_Man never stated that the staff doesn't want to hear our suggestions. Rather, he said that with 1.16 around the corner, trying to implement every possible recommendation isn't feasible, and just a lower priority.

Most of us agree that we want to keep growing the player-base to keep funding the server. For that to happen (in my opinion), we need to get to a point where we are out of beta. I think it would be counter-intuitive to start trying to expand the player base aggressively while the server is in beta, where the server potentially has some bugs. If we did that, a flock of new players would come in and, potentially, hate the server due to reasons that boil down to the server still being in beta (E.g., bugs). This could result in a bunch of potential new players prematurely hating the server, who would then not give the server another shot once it exits beta. So, in short, if possible, I think it's best to wait to begin expanding the player-base until the server is out of beta. Getting the server stable on 1.16 and getting Skyblock launched, I think, would be significant steps in getting closer towards the end of beta. Maybe I see this all wrong; feel free to criticize and correct anything.

We want better communication and transparency from the mod team specifically.
In @Langley_Man 's defense, I think he's been pretty damn transparent in this thread. (Going as far as to elaborate on his real-life friendships...)