LinusTechTips Minecraft Network
Minecraft IP: mc.ltt.gg

Increase the number of Claims from 5 to XX

Increase the Number of allowed Claims from 5 to ...?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 445

It would show some Interest for Opinion of the Community to answer this.

We have 20 out of 26 votes (at the time of writing) that call for more claims. That has to count for something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ___________

DyDestroyer1027

Regular
trainboyns2
trainboyns2
Feb 27, 2020
We have 20 out of 26 votes (at the time of writing) that count for more claims. That has to count for something.
Check who the 6 “No” votes are from.
I’m not saying it would be impossible to get something done, but a bit harder given who voted for No

D

Deleted member 445

I’m not saying it would be impossible to get something done, but a bit harder given who voted for No
That's the reason why we have this thread, is it not? To discuss if it would be sensible to increase the number of claims. It doesn't really matter who voted no. In the US presidential elections, whoever Jeff Bezos votes for doesn't automatically get into office, because Bezos' vote has the same weight as my vote.

D

Deleted member 445

The Second Point is the new Wave of Players:
Since then every Day some minor Public Build gets griefed. this is anoying and ugly af. More claims are a way to stop that too.
Wait, really? What's getting griefed?
It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that I've never heard of anything being griefed recently.

Psyadsa

Regular
Feb 27, 2020
Wait, really? What's getting griefed?
It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that I've never heard of anything being griefed recently.

You remember the Town over the Water i made in the hope of getting a "shopping district"?
Well the town didnt get as successfull as i hoped for, but there are still shome shops there, and it is definitly a build.

The Icepath above the Netherroof to the town gets griefed every day. In the Town itself the same. Missing Blocks in the pathways, broken Nether Portal, and they even keep stealing chisseled stone bricks... those are craftable from freaking Stone and worthless....
The Netherportal under the Netherroof that i build and made a nice room for is also griefed away. Also all "worthless" blocks here. (And yeah, grief in the Nether is another discussion in its own, but take it as an example here....)

I had Mods come by and restore the Town about 3 times now, i dont even bother with it anymore -.-

• Wow
Reactions: Mctangelo
D

Deleted member 445

You remember the Town over the Water i made in the hope of getting a "shopping district"?
Yeah, I helped build the Doofenshmirtz Evil Inc. building there. I can't believe its getting griefed

jimbob200521

jimbob200521
jimbob200521
Diamond
Mar 9, 2020
Well the town didnt get as successfull as i hoped for, but there are still shome shops there, and it is definitly a build.

The Icepath above the Netherroof to the town gets griefed every day. In the Town itself the same. Missing Blocks in the pathways, broken Nether Portal, and they even keep stealing chisseled stone bricks... those are craftable from freaking Stone and worthless....
The Netherportal under the Netherroof that i build and made a nice room for is also griefed away. Also all "worthless" blocks here. (And yeah, grief in the Nether is another discussion in its own, but take it as an example here....)

I had Mods come by and restore the Town about 3 times now, i dont even bother with it anymore -.-

Yeah the nether is a lost cause. I had a nice portal and location let set up with signs for my base then I came back one day it's like someone bombed the place with tnt. Huge drop below my portal, ice paths gone, fire everywhere, etc. Kinda annoying to say the least...I haven't even bothered to rebuild it back up.

D

Deleted member 445

I wish we could make a compromise between "no griefing, ever" and "yes griefing, always". Its annoying to have your public stuff griefed, but unclaimed stuff out in the wild (imo) should be up for grabs. I have an idea:

My idea is that, upon creation, the builder of something intended to be public could go up to the mods and say "Hey, can I make this an official public build?" An official public build would be defined as a large structure or group of structures intended for use by anyone. They can not be griefed, meaning that pathways, public chests, message boards, and town halls are essentially protected, while individual plots are protected from tampering. This would give insurance to people like Psyadsa who want to make public projects, and keep the rights held by anyone who finds an unclaimed thing in the wild.

Neff

Regular
Feb 17, 2020
Still, the majority is clearly in favor of an increase here...
Towny. Infinite claims in Towny.

I remember back in the early days of east town I tried to get everyone to claim in chunks and was promptly told by an admin that that wasn't allowed...
Claims are based on chunks in Towny.

Towny.

They can not be griefed, meaning that pathways, public chests, message boards, and town halls are essentially protected, while individual plots are protected from tampering.
This is very easy to do, and very common in Towny.

Its annoying to have your public stuff griefed, but unclaimed stuff out in the wild (imo) should be up for grabs.
This is how it is by default in Towny.

Reactions: Athrur

Towny. Infinite claims in Towny.

Claims are based on chunks in Towny.

Towny.

This is very easy to do, and very common in Towny.

This is how it is by default in Towny.

Have you considered staying on HSMP? Just saying telling the community to go away isn't exactly a compromise.

Neff

Regular
Feb 17, 2020
Have you considered staying on HSMP? Just saying telling the community to go away isn't exactly a compromise.

I'm not asking for sweeping changes to Survival that make it increasingly similar to how Towny already functions, that's the key difference here. I'm happy with how Survival exists as is, but it seems that every feature that constantly gets requested is already implemented in Towny. Why not try the other servers, instead of trying to duplicate Towny?

I'm not asking for sweeping changes to Survival that make it increasingly similar to how Towny already functions, that's the key difference here. I'm happy with how Survival exists as is, but it seems that every feature that constantly gets requested is already implemented in Towny. Why not try the other servers, instead of trying to duplicate Towny?

In what world is allowing more claims duplicating towny? I dont think people here are asking for towns, town taxes, nations, embassies, town banks etc? Just a few more claims in our current claim system.

I dont see how a few more claims is sweeping changes that make survival like towny? It's a massive reach.

D

Deleted member 445

Why not try the other servers, instead of trying to duplicate Towny?
I'm gonna be honest, I had no idea Towny had infinite claims. You can call me ignorant if you want, but I've never played Towny. I just want to make Survival better. I don't see any timeline in which adding more claims would be copying Towny. There are differences between SMP and Towny, and asking for quality-of-life features in SMP isn't going to make it Towny 2.

Neff, under normal circumstances, I value your opinion as highly as I value anyone else's. But, if you're just telling people "Go to Towny", "Stop trying to duplicate Towny", it doesn't help anyone. Please stop inflicting your opinions upon the world if it means you're telling us to go to Towny.

Neff

Regular
Feb 17, 2020
I'm gonna be honest, I had no idea Towny had infinite claims. You can call me ignorant if you want, but I've never played Towny.
That's just the thing! I'm sure very few of the people making these recommendations have. And I get it, I logged into Towny initially, didn't "get it" and logged out. Tried it a couple months later, made a Town, and thought it was generally a very accepting and friendly community. Great for building towns together, builds, farms, etc. But that's not what I wanted, I enjoy the "survival" aspect. Restricted claimed, cooperation, killing people like Guerns, Monolast, etc.

In what world is allowing more claims duplicating towny?
But, if you're just telling people "Go to Towny", "Stop trying to duplicate Towny", it doesn't help anyone. Please stop inflicting your opinions upon the world if it means you're telling us to go to Towny.
I don't see any timeline in which adding more claims would be copying Towny.

It's not JUST claims, and pretending that's my whole argument is rather disingenuous. People want towns with warps, and community areas. People suggested having moderators enforce things like paths or build limits or even just "having buildings with the same aesthetic". People want more claims to build remote farms outside of their home base. Psyadsa wanting mods to help with griefing in a town that isn't completely claimed yet. Soooo many "issues" that are already solved just one server to the left.

It's not that I don't enjoy playing with y'all, and quite the contrary; I think Eli is great and wish I'd played with him more! But he's on Towny, and I don't WANT Towny. But based on the suggestions and arguments everyone keeps making, a lot of people would be much happier there, but haven't spent more than 10 minutes there. All I'm saying is to give it a chance. If you've got 50+ hours on SMP, surely you could spend a couple hours on Towny just to try it out?

Reactions: Mctangelo
D

Deleted member 445

People want towns with warps, and community areas. People suggested having moderators enforce things like paths or build limits or even just "having buildings with the same aesthetic". People want more claims to build remote farms outside of their home base. Psyadsa wanting mods to help with griefing in a town that isn't completely claimed yet. Soooo many "issues" that are already solved just one server to the left.
Yeah, that's fair. You have to admit though, it did kinda seem like you were blanketing the petition for quality of life features with "Go to Towny." Thank you for clarifying your opinion, though.🙂

My post about public builds was to let people enjoy the aesthetic of survival and make public stuff (like DeepBlue), while still making it survival (i.e. you can raid, PvP, grief, etc. if it's unclaimed).
I'm pushing for more claims because 5 seems too restricting. I don't want infinite claims like Towny, but more would be nice.
I don't agree with towns with warps, but I think some sort of shops with warps is necessary, so everyone doesn't have to build shops near spawn. It could even be a pocket dimension or something.

People want more claims to build remote farms outside of their home base.
Personally, I don't think this should be considered very heavily if we're talking about more claims, since farms have to be loaded and you have to be able to get to them. We only have three homes, so if you want to make a remote farm, you either have to fly there or use one of your homes to teleport there. Even if you do, it's not going to be loaded unless it's near spawn.

Again, thanks for clarifying your opinion, Neff. I'm glad that you're listening, and that you're not stubborn or stupid enough to hold your point without explaining it.

Reactions: Neff

Personally, I don't think this should be considered very heavily if we're talking about more claims, since farms have to be loaded and you have to be able to get to them. We only have three homes, so if you want to make a remote farm, you either have to fly there or use one of your homes to teleport there. Even if you do, it's not going to be loaded unless it's near spawn.

In the absence of more homes etc this is where you can take the survival element of nether portal travel (etc) and make more claims. The argument mostly being made is to allow for claims that are non-standard shapes to be claimable and for people who have their main base, shop, guardian farm, etc and need multiple claims.

I enjoy the "survival" aspect. Restricted claimed, cooperation, killing people like Guerns, Monolast, etc.

But this is exactly it. Nowhere in Minecraft has "restricted claims" been part of SMP. SMP is usually PvE (Player vs Economy) with an admin shop, player shops, claims, no griefing etc. This server is already different (and I am not advocating for those aspects to change, as much as I miss some of it). Saying that one of the major draws to SMP (in general) is restricted claims is a bit of a confusing point because that has nothing to do with the game mode. No one here is asking for unlimited claims. We already have a max claim block count and a minimum claim size. Together, these help to already set limitations and restrictions. I, and as it seems from the poll most others, would just like to have a few more claims than just the 5. Due to the mess that are the towns, my shop takes up 2 claims, my guardian farm takes up another and my main base uses the last 2 (again, due to the shape). This is all my claims used and I've only earned about 9000 claimblocks. I still have over double the amount of blocks left to use but cant use them due to these limitations. I don't see how adding a few more would ruin the game and make it like towny? If you are looking for restricted claims, cooperation and killing people there is luckily HSMP for all of that. In your own words, "It's not that I don't enjoy playing with y'all, and quite the contrary." and I think the gameplay you are looking for is more likely to be found on HSMP.

Not trying to be argumentative but I am sick of hearing the "go to towny" excuse because it is incredibly lame. Acting like the primary thing about towny is more claims is ridiculous.

Yes we can buy more. And there isn't a limit [iirc] to how much we can buy apart from what our balances can afford. I meant a limit to generated claimblocks.

Psyadsa

Regular
Feb 27, 2020
Not trying to be argumentative but I am sick of hearing the "go to towny" excuse because it is incredibly lame. Acting like the primary thing about towny is more claims is ridiculous.

Maybe a bit harsh in Language but true. Claims hardly makes out Towny.

I would simply response to this arguments with a fact:
We dont ask for a new Feature or a big change here. The number of 5 Claims is a random number that got selected long ago. This is a Beta Server. I dont see the problem in adjusting an existing Feature in an Detail like the number here. I thought something like that is the porpose of a Beta.
If nothing else it would hardly result in a change to an Towny server.

Neff

Regular
Feb 17, 2020
But this is exactly it. Nowhere in Minecraft has "restricted claims" been part of SMP.
I don't see how adding a few more would ruin the game and make it like towny? If you are looking for restricted claims, cooperation and killing people there is luckily HSMP for all of that. In your own words, "It's not that I don't enjoy playing with y'all, and quite the contrary." and I think the gameplay you are looking for is more likely to be found on HSMP.
If nothing else it would hardly result in a change to an Towny server.

You either didn't read my entire post, or are intentionally picking exactly one reason I gave for Towny and strawmanning it.

It's not JUST claims, and pretending that's my whole argument is rather disingenuous. People want towns with warps, and community areas. People suggested having moderators enforce things like paths or build limits or even just "having buildings with the same aesthetic". People want more claims to build remote farms outside of their home base. Psyadsa wanting mods to help with griefing in a town that isn't completely claimed yet. Soooo many "issues" that are already solved just one server to the left.