LinusTechTips Minecraft Network
Minecraft IP: mc.ltt.gg

Idea for dealing with the Advertising rule

JustPaddyB

JustPaddyB
JustPaddyB
Obsidian
Feb 29, 2020
I understand why theirs no warps to shopping areas, and i know why advertising is against the rules you don't want the chat to be spammed or having x amount of people controlling the worlds economy.
However, this is still happening cause new players are unable to selling things as efficiently as the ones who have shops in the north south etc of spawn.

My idea is to have 2 different public chats within minecraft the default being you can not advertise, the other being you can advertise.
So you can change chats or opt in / opt out of seeing the ads messages.

I am unsure if this is possible.

Instead of arguing what is advertising and what isn't, so just telling them to go to the other public chat would hopefully solve that issue.

What do you all think?

Just spit balling ideas to make life easier for all.

Athrur

Regular
Jan 4, 2020
I mean I know I’m probably rich to talk about this, but my views are that if someone wants an item they can ask in chat and most of the times will get a response - don’t see the need for a separate chat where the adverts are non requested.

Reactions: HamburgerGamer

JustPaddyB

JustPaddyB
JustPaddyB
Obsidian
Feb 29, 2020
I mean I know I’m probably rich to talk about this, but my views are that if someone wants an item they can ask in chat and most of the times will get a response - don’t see the need for a separate chat where the adverts are non requested.

This is completely fair but what about those who get items from those who charge too much because there the only ones on at that point or are just simply first to respond, like i had 2 people pop up about sea lanterns the 1st guy was way too expensive but i didn't want to tell him no after i tp'd already etc. (I know i should of got a price first but either way)
Like your shop is the most recognised in the whole server, under jesus o_O
So what about newcomers who want to have a shop how do you get them to it?
Cheekily advertise when someone asks for something, or drop a hint you have a shop while no mod is checking.

The arguing over whats an advertisement is more annoying than the actual message saying someone has a shop who wants a tp.
So having a shop to buy from is generally better all round.

I mean we could do away with the chestshops, up the item limit back up to 45 on the ah, and be done with it.
But people like to build shops, and i personally like shopping in them.

I also want to point out people are either moving there shops somewhere else or not stocking there existing ones, shopping has become more annoying due to this.
Forcing me to ask for items in that chat, this then creates more message spamming for people wanting things.

Mctangelo

Regular
Feb 17, 2020
I like your idea of having a separate area for advertising. Idk if a separate chat is the way to go. Between /r, /pc, and /msg it's already confusing writing to people, let alone with the /r glitch.
I do think new players need a fair area to show what they have for sale. Rather than big players using their shop designs and server clout to take all the sales.
I like the idea of maybe a Discord channel, or forum post? Discord could have a slow mode enabled so people can't spam with what they are selling.

JustPaddyB

JustPaddyB
JustPaddyB
Obsidian
Feb 29, 2020
Is there enough people using the discord though, i feel like it has to be an in game thing for it to work.
Forum has the same issue not everyone is on here.

How about a catalog that you can use a command to open sorta like /ah, that shows shops and who owns them with the location XYZ,
If the shop owner is online clicking on the shop name sends that owner a tp request ?

And to apply for a shop name you can buy it using in game currency, say what 2500, 5 days of voting. that would seem fair?

Obviously spamming 6000 plus entries of every persons shop is then a problem and then having who gets listed first that simply has to be randomised every time you search the "Catalog". Also this is limited to One location only per user.

I have played on servers far larger than this and that allowed advertising in chat and it wasn't a big issue. They were only allowed to advertise with a command (/shout) and it was only allowed once every 30 minutes or so. I'm sure if they had a system where you could /advertise or similar and there was a large cool down it would not be an issue.

The current system of no warps and no advertising creates a monopoly for those in the North and South town pretty much.

JustPaddyB

JustPaddyB
JustPaddyB
Obsidian
Feb 29, 2020
I have played on servers far larger than this and that allowed advertising in chat and it wasn't a big issue. They were only allowed to advertise with a command (/shout) and it was only allowed once every 30 minutes or so. I'm sure if they had a system where you could /advertise or similar and there was a large cool down it would not be an issue.

The current system of no warps and no advertising creates a monopoly for those in the North and South town pretty much.

I really like this idea.
As this is my first server I have no idea.

Cyberbyte_010

Cyberbyte_010
Cyberbyte_010
Obsidian
Feb 27, 2020
I wholeheartedly agree. The No Advertising Rule needs looking into again and find a way round it. Quite frankly, its a stupid rule. I'm not being flippant or rude bout it, just saying as i see it. It's a stupid rule. Especially when you allow player shops and an auction to boot. Am I advocating the chat to be full of advert spams? No. That would get tiresome very very quickly. But adverts are an NECESSARY and KEY part of the shopping plugin and experience, IRL, Minecraft, and all sorts of games. From word of mouth, to full page/screen ads.

"But wait, you can tell people you are selling things if they are asking generally?" Yes, u can respond to someone asking for a certain item, but that requires you be online at the time, and pay attention to the chat, to make money. Plus the chat is then spammed with people asking for items, which begs the question why the rule, bc it breaks the whole reason of the rule in place to start with...

"Ok then, make a shop near spawn, in N,S,E,W Towns? Everyone starts and returns to spawn, so make a shop there and people can buy and sell when you aren't online?" Yes, of course you can do that. Problem is, everyone who was early doors in the server had the same idea and now is so jam packed, making a shop that's not right at the back and noticeable is all but impossible. And this allows those who got in early, an unfair advantage as they now have an monopoly. And i don't see those people arguing things to change either.

"Well... there's the auction. That's available everywhere." Yes, and is a great system, problem is though if you tell someone you have something on /ah, you get dinged by mods who think it's an advert anyway.

And to make things WORSE, the rules aren't even absolutely crystal clear, and mods have to make judgement calls themselves. Many people will get dinged by this, inc me as what happened yesterday. A guy told the chat that he got burned by lava and forgot fire resist potions. Seeing this and wanting to help, told him that "i got fire resist, put them on ah if u need them" and i thought i'd done my good deed for the day lol. But an helper saw what i said and saw that as advertising, and quickly gave me a 'formal warning lasting 30 days' My reaction was 'meh no harm no foul', didn't agree with it, ignored it and carried on building my base. I didn't think any more of it and wasn't gonna comment on this til I saw this post & checked the rules again. And if i was gonna be one of those people who argue for the sake of it. I would say 'hang on, the rules state;

S.2 - No Unsolicited Advertisements
Unsolicited advertisements are defined as promoting your player shop without being prompted to do so. In other words, you're only allowed to advertise your Shop when a player asks for one.'

Player Shops. It does not state anything to do with the auction part of the plugin. So Jake & Mods, think you need to rewrite that a little... and its a waste of time arguing what is an advert and what isn't. And if it become more than warnings and actual bans for a set amount of time, as i have seen on here like a week. That is completely overboard and just turn people off from the server.

I've been on a few servers, and had experience helping and managing my old school's MC server with IT staff, and they handled this brilliantly, with either a separate chat, a /shout command with cool-down, Discord channel or forum post, a catalog as said above. So it isn't impossible to think of a way round this.

Jake and Mods, not being rude and arguing, but this rule just doesn't work and will cause more problems down the road i feel. Hopefully a solution can replace it and we will keep making the server better and better.

Neff

Regular
Feb 17, 2020
If anything like this was implemented in-game, there would HAVE to be a way for users to toggle this off. But, in that regard, I'm not sure how many users would actually want to see these advertisements. From my experience, it's more about people wanting to advertise, rather than people who want to be on the receiving end of the advertisements. I would imagine that most of the players would "unsubscribe" from adverts, which would make implementing this a waste of time.

Everyone wants to advertise, no one wants to be on the receiving end of an advertisement. Nobody is going to "opt-in" to advertisements, when they could just ask in chat if they needed a specific item.

D

Deleted member 445

Imo, if the rule were to be changed, the only thing it needs is to explicitly allow some things, and ban everything else. For example, you can advertise if someone asks for an item you sell, and thats it*. Everything else is banned.

*Thats not necessarily the ruleset i want, its just an example. I didnt want to think of a bunch of examples just to make my reply longer.

"But wait, you can tell people you are selling things if they are asking generally?"
The bypass to this is get a friend online to ask "Who is selling _____" and then you can respond saying "Oh I am selling ___ for $____" and then you get purchases :) It's not illegal and there is no way that the server can prevent that.

Reactions: DyDestroyer1027

DyDestroyer1027

Regular
trainboyns2
trainboyns2
Feb 27, 2020
The bypass to this is get a friend online to ask "Who is selling _____" and then you can respond saying "Oh I am selling ___ for $____" and then you get purchases :) It's not illegal and there is no way that the server can prevent that.
This is a great idea