Minecraft IP: mc.ltt.gg

Griefing on Survival and Vanilla

ArousedAragorn

ArousedAragorn
ArousedAragorn
Void
Apr 21, 2020
Hey all,
after a pretty lengthy discussion with Elentric in #help I'd like to have some things clarified. According to Elentric:
You are entitled to what the sever provides you, anything over that and you're running the risk of it getting broken. if you indeed decide to build a massive farm outside of your claim and it needs constant repairing because you don't or can't claim it we will indeed not keep fixing it

To be clear: If it were indeed the case that something is getting griefed every week or so, I agree with Elentric. At some point it gets too much. But if it happens like once a month (which it probably doesn't because the griefers should get banned) I don't see a problem here. But from Elentric's wording (especially "yes, so claim your shit") it sounds to me like griefs will not get reverted and the griefer won't get punished if your build happens to not be claimed.

Imo This is flawed in two ways:
1) We players can't claim in the Nether and End until 500 blocks. Elentric says (and I'm paraphrasing): "Then don't build inside 500 blocks". This imo is not a valid option since most people want to live close to others since that is what multiplayer is all about.
2) It is harsh for new players. I am just going to copy/paste my example from Discord here:
So let's say I am playing alone on the server and I want to build up my base with multiple farms like a mob grinder, a slime farm and a guardian farm. Understandably (I hope) I would not want to have those farms near my actual build because they'd destroy the asthetics. Now in the best case I'd have 3 claims, one for my base, one for my guardian farm and one for the mob grinder and the slime farm. Because those farms a pretty big I will not have enough claimblocks to cover them all until I've played around 200 hrs on the server (which is much longer that it'd take building them up). So you're saying then that I should not build those farms since I can't claim them because you won't go fixing them if someone griefs them. I'd say that's a pretty hostile attitude towards players. --- And I can tell you that that is an issue. From flying around the server mapping it I have found multiple bases + farms unclaimed or only partly claimed because of a lack of claimblocks. Those people worked hard on their farms/bases and you're telling me you're just gonna let them down? --- And to be clear: I am not saying that raiding should be disallowed but griefing bases should be and it should be enforced.

In addition Elentric is now discuraging from building community maintained buildings/ice roads inside the 500 block radius of spawn which, again imo, is not a valid solution to this problem. We should keep in mind that the rules clearly state that griefing is not allowed.

At this point I am advocating for the following compromise: For "small" griefs (< 200 blocks taken) we report it and the griefer gets a warning or banned (depending) and for anything above the threshold taken we report it and it get rolled back as well.

Last edited:

ArousedAragorn

ArousedAragorn
ArousedAragorn
Void
Apr 21, 2020
just don’t build a lot of things. Consolidate into 1-2 large claims
But that's only part of the point. Even if you could do that , not everybody has enough claim blocks to be able to. Aside from that different farms require different biomes or structures (ie. Pillager Outposts, Ocean Monuments) which are very difficult to get inside just a few claims.

Norgil

Regular
Nov 19, 2020
I agree with basically all of the above points, but I'd like top give my own example which is that my Nether portal just disappeared either today or last night and I pinged the mods on discord not because I wanted it reverted (tbh it was just 10 blocks of obsidian I didn't care about losing the materials) but because I wanted to either know who had done it or to have the mods at least have a chat with whoever did it. Also as stated above my portal is within the 500 block unclaimable area around nether spawn so even if I wanted to I couldn't claim my portal on the nether side.

Elentric

2Fresh2Clean
Mod
Elentric
Elentric
Pilot
Dec 4, 2019
The Netherlands
The best way to approach the limited amount of claims is to build a large perimeter around an ocean monument and build the farms around that as your "farming claim" that way you still have 4 claims left for either your base and or other specialized farms, if you plan it out well then you could make do with just 2 or 3 claims (+1 if you decide you want to do stuff in the nether)

As for the 500 blocks unclaimable area in the nether.
This is there to not have people box the spawn nether in with their own claims (even shops). The 500 block radius is not meant for building but rather to allow players to place a portal for easy access.
A point was made about ice roads or other transportation systems within that area. I can see why you would want to do that, however. 500 blocks on a flat surface is not a very long way towards an ice path that are most commonly used to go long distances and not short trips (>1000 blocks), most people have an elytra already, most portals for accessibility are close by and you can use regular "default" blocks to mark out a path that serves the same purpose as an ice road for the mentioned new players.

Yes, as I mentioned in the #help discord channel;
we will not repeatedly fix your griefed builds if you refuse to claim it or move it in your claim. The server grants you the claim blocks + claims you are entitled to, if it is clear that you refuse to stay within those claims and we have to constantly fix your builds we will just stop doing so. The rules regarding griefing are not a free pass to just build anywhere you'd like without having to take responsibility for it but rather a protection against anomalies and a deterrent for people to grief.

Also, we will not go into any detail on how or why people might get an infraction issued. this been said, griefers get punished appropriately.

ArousedAragorn

ArousedAragorn
ArousedAragorn
Void
Apr 21, 2020
The best way to approach the limited amount of claims is to build a large perimeter around an ocean monument and build the farms around that as your "farming claim" that way you still have 4 claims left for either your base and or other specialized farms, if you plan it out well then you could make do with just 2 or 3 claims (+1 if you decide you want to do stuff in the nether)

As for the 500 blocks unclaimable area in the nether.
This is there to not have people box the spawn nether in with their own claims (even shops). The 500 block radius is not meant for building but rather to allow players to place a portal for easy access.
A point was made about ice roads or other transportation systems within that area. I can see why you would want to do that, however. 500 blocks on a flat surface is not a very long way towards an ice path that are most commonly used to go long distances and not short trips (>1000 blocks), most people have an elytra already, most portals for accessibility are close by and you can use regular "default" blocks to mark out a path that serves the same purpose as an ice road for the mentioned new players.

Yes, as I mentioned in the #help discord channel;
we will not repeatedly fix your griefed builds if you refuse to claim it or move it in your claim. The server grants you the claim blocks + claims you are entitled to, if it is clear that you refuse to stay within those claims and we have to constantly fix your builds we will just stop doing so. The rules regarding griefing are not a free pass to just build anywhere you'd like without having to take responsibility for it but rather a protection against anomalies and a deterrent for people to grief.

Also, we will not go into any detail on how or why people might get an infraction issued. this been said, griefers get punished appropriately.
After thinking about this a bit more I can recognize that this is not an issue of claim blocks or claim count itself. An ocean monument takes 64*64 blocks so 4096 blocks to claim which is ~60 hrs of playtime which I can agree on, is okay reasonable. What I'd want some clarification on is tho: Will you even enforce the no griefing rule then? From your wording I understand that you are not interested in enforcing that rule (at least in most cases) so why does it even exist?