LinusTechTips Minecraft Network
Minecraft IP: mc.ltt.gg

Concise shopping district - New warp location and opportunity suggestion

Escaalun

Escaalun
Escaalun
Iron
Mar 16, 2020
Sorry if this has been raised before, but I couldn't see it anywhere.

It oocurs to me that the shopping district is a first come first serve basis. Great if you were there when the server opened, sucks if you joined a little later.
So a suggestion that will probably be shoot down is can we set the shopping district to be a maximum plotsize area ?

Like say 15x15, then divide with roads/transport network?

Now hear me out, before shooting this down too quickly.
I wouldn't suggest that we kick all claims out on the current shopping district, but instead create a community warp point on a admin controlled island that allows for people to then have a fairer shot at selling their goods.

This would mean that although the people that were on early might get the short end, I would implore that this system also works that those that were first to claim get first dibs on claim.

Finally, and possibly to win some up votes here.
I explored into the further reaches then just the intial shops that get the foot traffic, and founds some both amazingly good and amazingly bad prices (probably because they don't change prices due to lack of foot traffic).
Would it not be fair to give everyone a chance and make the market more competitive then just going to the first seller who is determining the market?

Like I say, just a suggestion, but what an opportunity to create some amazing builds in 15x15... what a way to have a cart network system to move everyone around.

Mitchka

Store.ltt.gg
Mod
Mitchka
Mitchka
Dec 4, 2019
We had this on the first survival and in the end there were many complaints that players that joined later in the game didn't have a fair advantage due to the ones who had been on longer got all the "good plots" closer to the spawn area. If you want a shopping district then you may want to consider playing Towny where you can create a town warp and players can go directly there and your residents can benefit from it.

Escaalun

Escaalun
Escaalun
Iron
Mar 16, 2020
Hi Mitcha,
Is this not what we have already though? I am always finding that we don't venture out to further than the furst sets of shops, because some wall off to borders. Not sure with your argument that it stands any different from what is already happening. At least on the pitch I put, you wont be seeing people hording space because they used all their claim in that area.

If this is not a winner, then like you say I have Towny if I want to up root.

Reactions: Psyadsa and IWtRI

Psyadsa

Regular
Feb 27, 2020
I would like to support Escaaluns point here... we already have a Situation where we dont have any Plots available for new Player. And the "streets" are not existing... you cant even find places in the Towns anymore.

I would suggest: put up Warp points every ~200 Blocks if the Town grows that big. that way there will always be new hot areas with good access.
The "last" players to build a shop on the far side of the city are the players with shops at the new warp point ;)

Reactions: rnngltbh

Psyadsa

Regular
Feb 27, 2020
To bring up a simple Design....
(Side note: this is a Sandstone flatworld... the colour of the Path and the bushes may vary)

We could make up a grid of Streets like this. The plots could even vary in Sizes from 7x7, 9x9, 11x11 ....
The names of the Roads would help to navigate. you could say: "My Store is is on the Corner 42th and B Road" or even go so far to name a few streets with additional names like the Jake Street here :p

I would suggest to have the Roads/Paths themselfs and the Fence/Greenery block in Public hand and ask the People to only claim the plots behind that blocks.
Also it should be mandatory for all to light the Place up. Fence torches are the cheap Option, hidden Light Blocks the nice one.

Like i said, i would suggest to put up Warp points every 200 Blocks or so. The Warp point could be a nicely made 7x7 plot that is used for that...
Direcly around the warp point i would further suggest to have smaler plots (for smaler shops) or even only little (public) sell-huts for only 1-2 Chest. (think about Foodtruck Size here in comparision to a resturant). This would further help the Problem of "Prime Spots" vs. later Plots

1584795714262.png

Mctangelo

Regular
Feb 17, 2020
The only thing that is irritating to me is having to walk from spawn each time I want to browse shops.
I don't think shop location is really a problem if a player is serious/hardworking about selling their items. If someone in chat says, "Anyone got leather" the selling player could say, "I have it in my shop, but it's far out in South Spawn. Let me TP you there" or "There is a big tower made of pink wool, look for that." We should not have to yeet everyone's' claims because people that started later don't get front row shops.
Last server I started appx 5 months after the launch. I didn't have a shop at all in the beginning and when I did it was at my base. I would respond in chat that I had items people were looking for and TP them there to sell them. Ended up with over 200k$. This server I don't have a shop at all and I have +300k$. Remember also, there are other ways of making money and that the diamond sell price is DOUBLE that what it was last server.
P.S. If a player looking to buy something really needs it, they will be very willing to walk a couple hundred block from spawn to get it. I go around to every shop in South Spawn almost everyday looking for items to buy.

Escaalun

Escaalun
Escaalun
Iron
Mar 16, 2020
To bring up a simple Design....
(Side note: this is a Sandstone flatworld... the colour of the Path and the bushes may vary)

We could make up a grid of Streets like this. The plots could even vary in Sizes from 7x7, 9x9, 11x11 ....
The names of the Roads would help to navigate. you could say: "My Store is is on the Corner 42th and B Road" or even go so far to name a few streets with additional names like the Jake Street here :p

I would suggest to have the Roads/Paths themselfs and the Fence/Greenery block in Public hand and ask the People to only claim the plots behind that blocks.
Also it should be mandatory for all to light the Place up. Fence torches are the cheap Option, hidden Light Blocks the nice one.

Like i said, i would suggest to put up Warp points every 200 Blocks or so. The Warp point could be a nicely made 7x7 plot that is used for that...
Direcly around the warp point i would further suggest to have smaler plots (for smaler shops) or even only little (public) sell-huts for only 1-2 Chest. (think about Foodtruck Size here in comparision to a resturant). This would further help the Problem of "Prime Spots" vs. later Plots

View attachment 177
Exactly how I saw the design :) like you read my mind

Athrur

Regular
Jan 4, 2020
What we have at the moment is way way “fairer” then pre reset, especially with /ah. Bare in mind the mods didn’t settle the towns, and wherever there is a town there are going to be better plots and worse plots, there isn’t really a solution to this. For example if there was a dedicated shop area, the shops closest to the warp would have an advantage. If there was a warp for every shop on the server, the warps with the catchier names would have an advantage

DyDestroyer1027

Regular
trainboyns2
trainboyns2
Feb 27, 2020
What we have at the moment is way way “fairer” then pre reset, especially with /ah. Bare in mind the mods didn’t settle the towns, and wherever there is a town there are going to be better plots and worse plots, there isn’t really a solution to this. For example if there was a dedicated shop area, the shops closest to the warp would have an advantage. If there was a warp for every shop on the server, the warps with the catchier names would have an advantage
I think we should follow the organized shopping district idea still. If Jake wants to reduce lag any more, he could put the shopping area in a pocket dimension. The current other problem is that people built their bases there to get better rates and more loading, which lags up the town.

DyDestroyer1027

Regular
trainboyns2
trainboyns2
Feb 27, 2020
We could draw up this design in a creative world. We could also do something like the modmall using the swapped cubiod subdivided claim system. Cubiod claim isn’t currently enabled, but it allows you to designate a 3D claim instead of a square claim to the height limit.

Mctangelo

Regular
Feb 17, 2020
If you think the mods/Jake are going to set up warp points every 200 blocks you are fully bat-shit insane.

DyDestroyer1027

Regular
trainboyns2
trainboyns2
Feb 27, 2020
If you think the mods/Jake are going to set up warp points every 200 blocks you are fully bat-shit insane.
I agree, just one warp or a massive mall would work. Just a single chest shop near the warp point would work for me. It’s less work than building a shop.

Psyadsa

Regular
Feb 27, 2020
I would ask you to keep the discussion civil and not call me "bat shit insane". Thank you McTangelo.

I made a suggestion. Of course there are Resons for and against it. My thought was to have an Option against "prime spots". To specify it more: I would only ad more Warps when then Town has grown to a certain point. Maybe that wont ever be needed, maybe it takes a week for it.
Also: I said every 200 Blocks or so. I am not sure myself what number to suggest here. More could be resonable too.

I think we should follow the organized shopping district idea still. If Jake wants to reduce lag any more, he could put the shopping area in a pocket dimension. The current other problem is that people built their bases there to get better rates and more loading, which lags up the town.

I like the Idea of a poket Dimension for this. That would also help with the Location Problem... ANY Place on the Map could result in the Problem of people building their bases at the Border of the District again...

Last edited:

Escaalun

Escaalun
Escaalun
Iron
Mar 16, 2020
Thinking out loud, what do we think if it were a map and using command blocks on button clicks. Then there is no need to warp points. Just 1 warp point and then TP on command blocks.

User wont need to see command blocks as they could be hidden as maps could be located within admin controlled areas.

Going to throw a concept together on creative.

Mctangelo

Regular
Feb 17, 2020
Apologies Psyadsa. My advice is that everyone that wants a shop build one anywhere they want that is open. There are still plenty of land in West town and North town. My 2nd piece of advice is to take Mitchka's advice. If you want direct warps to your shop or a shopping area you will need to play on Towny. SMP is VERY lucky for what we have already gotten.

Jawa_Juice

Moderator-y Boi
Mod
Jawa_Juice
Jawa_Juice
Pilot
Dec 4, 2019
Eastern US
On the alpha survival realm we had two “town” or “city” areas, with admin-claimed roads and accompanying warps. Not only did this favor the first to claim, but it also proved to be quite the moderation burden as well as a lag nightmare.

With this in mind, we launched the Towny realm, where players can create “Towns” with accompanying warps that they can manage on their own and however they wish, alleviating the moderation burden that accompanied the alpha survival setup.

When the survival realm was reset, we made the decision not to repeat the old setup, instead allowing players to freely claim as they wished. After a few days we noticed that players were essentially recreating the previous setup, congregating close to the edges of spawn and added the auction house so that the market wouldn’t be completely controlled by those with shops close to spawn. While this partially helped with the issue, it clearly didn’t completely solve it. Chest shops allow for more products to be sold at once, as well as for stocking to be done in advance. With the current setup, players near spawn are once again at an advantage, which isn’t ideal.

Back to your suggestions, creating districts or grid streets with periodic warps sounds cool in theory, but in practice results in players closest to the warps being at an advantage, congested areas causing unnecessary client-side lag, as well as a gargantuan burden on the moderation team.

A potential solution we’ve been considering is enabling a form of player wraps, which would encourage players to build wherever they wish as opposed to congregating near spawn, eliminating the current lag issues as well as putting players on even playing ground when it comes to shop accessibility and location.

Mr.Fishers3

Regular
MrFishers3
MrFishers3
Feb 27, 2020
Personally I've never been a fan of player shop based markets. There are the downsides already listed in this thread and as a player I don't particularly enjoy searching store after store trying to find what I want.

I do like the auction house but it is limiting in sales volume and is also somewhat disorganized.

I don't know if there is a mod/plugin to do this, but something like the Grand Exchange on Runescape would be wonderful. Basically it works like a stock market where players set their own buy and sell prices and all items are pooled together. So as a seller all I would have to do is deposit my items into the exchange and set my minimum sell price. As a buyer all I would have to do is search for what I want and either pay the current market price or set a maximum buy price.

DyDestroyer1027

Regular
trainboyns2
trainboyns2
Feb 27, 2020
Personally I've never been a fan of player shop based markets. There are the downsides already listed in this thread and as a player I don't particularly enjoy searching store after store trying to find what I want.

I do like the auction house but it is limiting in sales volume and is also somewhat disorganized.

I don't know if there is a mod/plugin to do this, but something like the Grand Exchange on Runescape would be wonderful. Basically it works like a stock market where players set their own buy and sell prices and all items are pooled together. So as a seller all I would have to do is deposit my items into the exchange and set my minimum sell price. As a buyer all I would have to do is search for what I want and either pay the current market price or set a maximum buy price.
So you want to have a player based economy. This would be good, but more complicated for newer players.

Langley_Man

Ocean Eater
Mod
Langley_Man
Langley_Man
Dec 6, 2019
If you're joining survival to rp towny and or want an economy based gameplay i would suggest towny.

survival is just that, Survival multiplayer allows players to connect to a central Minecraft server. This enables them to interact with each other and work together (or against each other) in order to achieve their Survival goals...

Economy and town based gameplay should stay on the towny server as that's what they are designed for

Reactions: rnngltbh and IWtRI

DyDestroyer1027

Regular
trainboyns2
trainboyns2
Feb 27, 2020
If you're joining survival to rp towny and or want an economy based gameplay i would suggest towny.

survival is just that, Survival multiplayer allows players to connect to a central Minecraft server. This enables them to interact with each other and work together (or against each other) in order to achieve their Survival goals...

Economy and town based gameplay should stay on the towny server as that's what they are designed for
Some people do not want to start all over again with a different group of people and a much smaller group. Plus, towny has a bunch of more complicated features we might not want, like town taxes, or the burden of managing a town at all. We just want the survival experience with a good shopping area that isn't a completely broken, abused mess. (there are some good shops, but a lack of even basic roads after the initial entrance doesn't fare well for those beyond.)

Also,if "Economy and town based gameplay should stay on the towny server as that's what they are designed for" this is true, why does the survival server have subdivided claims, an economy and an auction house

Last edited: