LinusTechTips Minecraft Network
Minecraft IP: mc.ltt.gg

1.16 - Any planned launch date (Mojang planned release 23 June 2020)

Escaalun

Regular
Escaalun
Escaalun
Mar 16, 2020
The usual question, but do we know if there will be any testing conducted for 1.16 as a viable upgrade to the 1.12.2.
Secondly, do we know if there might be any consideration of still running the 1.12.2 server as a player capped limited server?

Although I understand that you won't know all of the rules that would be applied to 1.16 BUT with Mojang announcing that mobs will despawner at 54 blocks, surely this is going to be beneficial for server peformance?

Basically any roadmap on what might be happening will be greatly appreciated.

Theultrasheeplord

Ultrasheeplord
Ultrasheeplord
Obsidian
Mar 15, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
when 1.16 releases it wont be an instant update
rember that all the plugins need to be updated and people will want client mods like optifine to be updated before hand aswell
ontop of that for stability reasons it is always better not to update to 1.16 but rather to wait for 1.16.2 or what ever the final release is

Escaalun

Regular
Escaalun
Escaalun
Mar 16, 2020
If it goes that way then I think the server might have low population me fears.

Narcolepsi

Regular
May 7, 2020
Not to be a hater, but I don't think there's any point to this line of thinking. That just because Mojang releases an update it needs to be applied to LTT server. The server could have gone 1.13.2, 1.14.4, or 1.15.2 at any time. There's no reason to expect 1.16.1 or 1.16.2 to hit this server. Especially since alpha and beta testing have both been done in 1.12.2, the correct release path is for a "full release" in version 1.12.2.

I'm not saying I think this is the best call, I just think that's the way it's going to be. If we were about to be on 1.16, then logically we would have already been running 1.15.2 up to this point, and we're not.

Reactions: A4N0NYM0U52

_Charky

Regular
May 30, 2020
imo it would make more sense to keep the 1.12 server as 1.12, and start a separate fresh 1.16 server. they're two different games at this point.

Theultrasheeplord

Ultrasheeplord
Ultrasheeplord
Obsidian
Mar 15, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Not to be a hater, but I don't think there's any point to this line of thinking. That just because Mojang releases an update it needs to be applied to LTT server. The server could have gone 1.13.2, 1.14.4, or 1.15.2 at any time. There's no reason to expect 1.16.1 or 1.16.2 to hit this server. Especially since alpha and beta testing have both been done in 1.12.2, the correct release path is for a "full release" in version 1.12.2.

I'm not saying I think this is the best call, I just think that's the way it's going to be. If we were about to be on 1.16, then logically we would have already been running 1.15.2 up to this point, and we're not.
this reason this didnt happen is beacuse mojang completely fucked up performance in 1.13 and have been slowly fixing this fuck up ever since
it is currently looking like 1.16 will be stable enough to run a server on but we should probably still wait for the final 1.16.x release to see

Theultrasheeplord

Ultrasheeplord
Ultrasheeplord
Obsidian
Mar 15, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
imo it would make more sense to keep the 1.12 server as 1.12, and start a separate fresh 1.16 server. they're two different games at this point.
i disagree with this majorly
a separate realm is so much worse then a reset or just updating
a sepreat realm will split the player base basicly killing one of the servers (likely the 1.12 realm) meaning the players will have to abandon the dying server but since it didnt reset there will be no sense of closure or world download
we need less realms not more

dkressjr

dkressjr
dkressjr
Void
Mar 6, 2020
this reason this didnt happen is beacuse mojang completely fucked up performance in 1.13 and have been slowly fixing this fuck up ever since
it is currently looking like 1.16 will be stable enough to run a server on but we should probably still wait for the final 1.16.x release to see
This is why most big servers still run 1.12.2. (Yes, I know there are some exceptions; please don't comment them below) 1.13 to 1.15.2 has been so unstable server-wise, nobody is running it. 😂

Reactions: Langley_Man

Langley_Man

/OP MOD
Mod
Langley_Man
Langley_Man
Dec 6, 2019
Well some servers are but with very low numbers. Like capping each server at like 20 people. trying to ask a 1.13 or 1.14 Minecraft to hold 100+ is a tall order.
Not saying some don't accomplish it but generally its by totally nerfing certain game mechanics. just a horrible experience tbo.

A4N0NYM0U52

Regular
Apr 21, 2020

I can agree with that; right now they don’t even have a stable optifine for 1.15.2....

Langley_Man

/OP MOD
Mod
Langley_Man
Langley_Man
Dec 6, 2019
As stated in many other threads and from jake "1.16.1" is in the works. How, and when it gets released is still up in the air.

That being said it's on the top of the priority list to get done.

Personally I can't wait.

Reactions: Escaalun

dkressjr

dkressjr
dkressjr
Void
Mar 6, 2020
As stated in many other threads and from jake "1.16.1" is in the works. How, and when it gets released is still up in the air.

That being said it's on the top of the priority list to get done.

Personally I can't wait.
The server is compatible with 1.16.1 clients now, right? Just server-side is still running 1.12.2

_Charky

Regular
May 30, 2020
i disagree with this majorly
a separate realm is so much worse then a reset or just updating
a sepreat realm will split the player base basicly killing one of the servers (likely the 1.12 realm) meaning the players will have to abandon the dying server but since it didnt reset there will be no sense of closure or world download
we need less realms not more

which highlights the real issue here- we need to focus on getting more people playing, rather than worrying about the version at the minute.

Reactions: jimbob200521

__paper

Regular
__paper
__paper
Mar 1, 2020
North Carolina, U.S.
which highlights the real issue here- we need to focus on getting more people playing, rather than worrying about the version at the minute.
Either way, we want to update. The players want an update (personally, idc; im talking about the majority), the mods want an update, and Jake wants an update. By updating, the server will inherently draw in more people, fixing your problem. We need to update now and focus on the size of the playerbase later. Doing it the other way around would be a mistake.

Read: https://ltt.gg/threads/is-this-server-dying.315/post-1541
This post brings up some very good points

Last edited: